Hi, my name is Juttle! - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Juttle!

2»

Comments

• cobra
    cobra Community member Posts: 36 Pioneering

Hi, my name is Cobra, though I don’t bite.

I’ve a similar story like Juttle, but a few stages further.

I’d just turned 68 some 4 days ago. I’ve been receiving DLA HRM and HRC ……INDEFINITLEY for the last 12+ years since 2004. I had to go to a Tribunal with the Solicitor’s help. There was a cut off date for people to go from DLA to PIP which had I been 2 years older (63 instead of 65) I would have automatically qualified but alas that was not so !! I’ve been driving a Motability car for the last 12+ years.

I have been diagnosed with Arthritis since 1975 when I had my first of 17 separate operations to different parts of my body for different ailments. The ailments include insulin dependent (very high dosage 160-180 units) + tablets-controlled Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Neuropathy, frozen shoulder, Diabetic foot, Cataract + EYLEA, etc. Now at my age I’ve also been suffering with personal hygiene problems which involves with ‘accidents’ It would be inappropriate to write all these here.  My files at 2 city hospitals, podiatry, optician, OT, and my GP’s surgery would be full of reams of paper. I was visited by my OT in 2005 and made a full report and suggested to me and to my local council to have full downstairs disabled facilities to be converted from my garage. My council even gave us some 80% grant. We had the Full Disabled facilities done by 2005.  I also had further OT visits through my GP’s requests and they provided me with 2 metal walking sticks. They also provided a ramp and two grab rails to the front of my home.

I had a home visit by an assessor before Christmas. My son had asked if he could bring any tea / coffee or soft drink as is our traditional Indian custom for ALL visitors. She however declined. Then the grilling started, and she kept on pestering personal questions which made me cry. My son had to comfort me and bring some water for me. I asked her if she needed to check my disabled facility and again she declined.

I had heard nothing for weeks than I received a letter dated 05 Jan from my local council that my changeover from DLA to PIP will not vary for council Tax purposes and will remain same.

I’d then presumed that my PIP application has been approved.
    Therefore, it seemed my council received the notification from DWP before they had posted to me. I waited 3 more days to see if their letter would come and it hadn’t come so I rang to check if the letter had gone astray. Then DWP informed me that it was ‘sent’ on 05.01.18. Then further 2 days had passed and on Friday 12.01.18. To cap it all I found out that DWP had only given me 6 out of 74 points for Daily Living care (I had calculated 30 points) and 10 out of 24 points for mobility. (I had calculated 20 points).

Than I read what were the reasons given and I was flabbergasted to learn that the assessor’s report was pure fabrication and a pack of lies. The ‘tests’ I was made to do was exaggerated and some weren’t even asked so the DM made upon that information. I was told that should I want to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration Notice I’ve to send within 30 days. DWP deliberately took out approx. 10 days out of 30 days by posting to the council on the same day 05.01 as they said that they had posted to me which I received their letter on 12.01 I’d complained that to my MP as well, not that it would make any difference to a Tory MP.

I than made a MRN in time with what I’d thought I should the points have received and what I got. Again, it took some time to receive even a worse report and their letter thus discouraging me to appeal. This letter was dated 29 Jan was received a day after my 68 birthday on 05 Feb, i.e. 7 days to receive. Now again they’ve said that I’ve got 30 days from their letter dated 19 Jan for an appeal. By doing this you’re rushed in to writing to the courts for an appeal.

I am in tethers who to turn to, to help me make a winning appeal as CAB (they don’t have funding in my area), Helping Hands (they’ve got too much work so nearest appointment is in March) and now I’ve managed to get a call appointment next Thursday 15 Feb.

Sorry for this long message / rant but I needed to warn others of what’s happening with PIP. This message has taken me some hours in separate time and I hope it makes sense.

• Juttle
    Juttle Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Hi, Mate,

Wow, didn’t I get away lightly! That sounds like a disaster from beginning to end! 

I’m not in a position to offer any help or assistance, but don’t panic! There are a lot of friendly and helpful, not to forget knowledgeable, people in here, and I’m sure some of them will pick up on this.

All I can say is the very best of luck, oh, and don’t let them win!

Bob
  • cobra
    Juttle said:
    Hi, Mate,

Wow, didn’t I get away lightly! That sounds like a disaster from beginning to end! 

I’m not in a position to offer any help or assistance, but don’t panic! There are a lot of friendly and helpful, not to forget knowledgeable, people in here, and I’m sure some of them will pick up on this.

All I can say is the very best of luck, oh, and don’t let them win!

Bob
    Many many thanks for your kind offer.
    I need anything and everything to help me to go for an appeal and WIN
    God Bless
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering

Many many thanks for your kind offer.
    I need anything and everything to help me to go for an appeal and WIN
    God Bless
    If you need local help it may be worth checking  out Age UK.

This link has an area search so that you can find a local group.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/

Being past the age for a first claim PIP means that you are in the difficult box. Most advisers for age specific benefits will be more experienced with Attendance Allowance than PIP.

The best advice is to get advice from an organisation that will also represent you at a tribunal, if at all possible. It's amazing how helpful they can be when being 'watched over'....

Good luck,

Jon

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi cobra

The first stage of appeal to tribunal is to submit form SSCS1 with just your basic reasons for your challenge. You then have some time to get help to prepare your submission

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cobra
    Many thanks @CockneyRebel for your kind reply. In the form it asks if any organisation is going to represent you. At the moment I don't have anyone to represent me so what answer should I give? I've not got my Dr's report either so should I wait? 
    I would also appreciate any guidance of how to word my appeal. Please bear in mind that English is not my first language so any pointers / help will be gratefully accepted. Someone had suggested I try age concern so I have also written to them but at present the way my luck in finding someone close by to help is nil.
    Thank you and God bless

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.