CP knee replacement — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CP knee replacement

beejaysmith49
beejaysmith49 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2018 in Cerebral palsy
I am writing this on behalf of my sister who has cerebral palsy and is 67.  Her right side is affected by her condition which has meant that all her life her left side has had to do most of the work.  Now she needs an operation on her 'good' knee which her consultant has recommended is replaced.  He did offer some key hole surgery to clear away some debris but as her knee is showing signs of arthritis he recommends a full replacement.  My sister lives on her own and won't be able to manage her post operative condition without considerable support.  Has anyone out there had a knee replacement?  Can anyone help us with some understanding of what she might expect?  There seems to be a lot on line about children with cerebral palsy but I hven't found anything about growing old with the condition.
Thank you.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @beejaysmith49, and welcome to the community. I'm sorry you and your sister are having a tough time, but glad that you've found your way to us.
    Perhaps you could take a look at the links (in white, on the purple band below) and have a look around.
    You're in a safe and supportive community here, so others will be around to welcome you and to look for the best way for us to help you.
    It's likely, I think, that your post will be moved by Admin to a forum that will be of better use to you, which will save you having to enter your comment again :)
    In the meanwhile we're here and listening, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beejaysmith49

It’s great to meet you this evening.

We have got some  info below for you: 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/families/diagnosis/cerebral-palsy

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/all-disabled

Please please let me know if I can help you further with anything else??????
  • beejaysmith49
    Thank you for the swift response.  I will follow up the links, this site and forum will be very helpful I am sure.  What would be great if we were able to share any experiences with people who have had knee replacement operations and how they coped after the operation.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @beejaysmith49
    I'm sure you'll find others here who have had knee replacements - it sometimes takes a little time for information to filter through. You could also type 'knee replacement' or something similar into the Search box at the top of the page. I didn't immediately find a great deal there, but there are some posts and there might be one or two posters you'd like to try to contact.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Take care.
    Richard
  • cathie1954
    cathie1954 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've had a full knee replacement and am awaiting the next knee getting done. I live up 19 stairs and was out of hospital in two and a half days and I live alone it was a long painful process with a zimmer then 2 sticks , I'm now walking e to four thousand steps a day with one good knee and one bad, but I didn't have the complications of CB. Hope you find the right help.
  • Daisygirl_1955
    Daisygirl_1955 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi, 
    I had my right knee replaced in 2010 after years of agony with arthritis. Initially my surgeon wouldn't do it as I was too young at 55, but I could hardly walk so he agreed. It is a very painful recovery process but you MUST do the exercises and walk as much as the physiotherapist suggests. I had my left knee replaced in 2012, my recovery was much swifter, possibly because I wasn't so scared?  Your sister should be prepared for balance problems initially. I am able to walk a fair amount now, though arthritis in my spine prevents me doing more than 10 minutes at a time. 
    I hope this helps and wish her all the very best. 
  • beejaysmith49
    Thank you Cathie, I'm glad to hear that your operation went well, the challenge of all those steps after the op must have been daunting.  What my sister is really nervous about is that an operation on her 'good' knee will leave her absolutely housebound because her other knee is twisted with the CP and can't take weight on its own. 
    Thank you Daisygirl too for your response.  The other difficulty that my sister will have is that her whole right side is affected by the CP so she will only be able to use a crutch with her left arm, the same side as her possible knee replacement. I'm not sure whether she'll be able to use a zimmer frame either?  Because of the CP she cannot take weight on her right leg.  It's a problem!  But thank you for your reply.
    Brenda
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @beejaysmith49

Recovery from a knee replacement can often be a long and challenging process even for people who don’t have additional disabilities, see: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/knee-replacement/recovery/

It is interesting to hear the experiences of other people with cp who have had the procedure, but cp is such a diverse condition that impacts on etc person in a way that is unique to them, so we must be cautious in relating one person’s experience to another.

From what you have written about your sister is certainly sounds as if she may need some additional rehabilitation support. Also, it sounds as if initially she may benefit from some additional care at home or even a short stay at a care centre to recuperate. I think it would be wise to talk to the hospital about what might be possible in advance of having the surgery so that her post-op discharge can be as safe and organised as possible.

Best Wishes

Jean  

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• beejaysmith49
    Hello Jean

Thank you for this reply, it's spot on!  No two people with CP are the same, physically or mentally!  My sister is independent, stubborn and hates to be a burden on anyone.  The idea or being stuck at home with people running around after her fills her with horror which is why she is trying to find someone who has had a similar experience.  She has also considered keyhole surgery because it's less invasive, but she would have to go private as her consultant isn't recommending it.   It's complicated!

Thanks for all the links.

Regards
    Brenda
  • Hamsterchic
    Hamsterchic Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I have a knee problem not too bad at the moment but I can see it getting worse as time goes on . I too hate to be dependant on people. I used to have fits for which I'm very glad now not to have. But I must still be epileptic mustn't I . Don't know if at some time in the future it will resurface that's a pretty daunting thought. I don't drive anymore so have to get trams and buses which isn't to bad exept recently been out in the cold, but it makes it so nice to get back in the warm although I really only keep my lounge relatively warm, I layer up, Primark did some sports leggings recently ( there as cheap as thick tights ) so I wear those under leggings/trousers and skirts ( with boots on nobody but me knows and I don't go telling everone to gain sympathy votes. Believe keeping private information that way. (OOps having blabbed that here) LOL
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Hamsterchic! Thanks for sharing this with us, if we can be of any assistance just let us know. :)

Brightness