Peoples thoughts on mobility cars - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Peoples thoughts on mobility cars

2»

Comments

• jose2
    jose2 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    @nanof6,thanks for that ,I'll see if I can find her speech ,yes ,I was looking at cars the other day and went to a few garages  ,and some of the advanced payments are steep for a better type car i/e Suv's etc!,(looking at these type due to having to use a scooter loaded in car)told by one garage on a particular car that even though advanced price is £1600+ by March the price may drop to half that.Where do they think disabled people are supposed to find that kinda money. Came out of some garages with glazed eyes and brain ! .You can get a car with 0 % advanced payments ,but been disabled a lot of these cars you have to crawl into and can't get out of because of disability.
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    it was def thursday or friday
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    tryed to put it , it was friday just looked it up on u tube
  • jose2
    Thank you @nanof6 ,know who she is now ,will go and have a look on u tube,buy for now. 
  • jose2
    Found some of her other speeches @nanof6, according to her since her appointment as DWP minister were all going to get well eventually ,so benefits will stop ,unable to find thurs or fridays speech she did ,will keep having a look ,see if I can find it,Thanks again 
  • jose2
  • mothermadness
    mothermadness Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I had high rate mobility on DLA then lost it all as many people to the change to PIP,  fortunately I had my own car but had to down grade due to lack of benefits.
    Happily,  after further awful interviews I got my PIP mobility back but not in the financial position to upgrade my car and was looking to mobility car, is it a good or bad idea?
  • jamie1965
    jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    We bought a car just incase we were not able to get mobility back when it runs out other wise would be house bound the only way I ever get out is in the car which my partner drives why do they make it so hard for people with genuine health issues to get help 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    All the government care about is reducing the benefits bill, not helping disabled people.

I needed to replace my car in 2016 but, knowing I'd have to transfer from DLA to PIP at some point, I bought my own car.  Which was fortunate because when I was assessed for PIP in 2017 I was awarded only standard mobility!  At appeal I was awarded enhanced mobility.  But, had I had a Motability car, rather than my own, of course I would have had to hand the car back as so many have had to.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body Only view I have on this is that it helps my independence.

The scheme was set up in the 70's to give disabled people a sense of independence and move our community in some sort of social mobility.

I recall the days of the three wheeled cars on the road and now the scheme is bigger than ever.

The Managers of the Scheme have agreements with Motor Manufacturers so that any body getting DLA or PIP who is qualified to do so, obtain a car.  We do know that unfortunately the benefit is not always liable to cover the long term contract.

That is why when you apply they the Motor Dealerships will ask for up front pre payment.  I have been on the Scheme since 1995.  From that time I would find some times at short notice, I would have to pay advance payment.

This because when ordering lets say in March buy order goes through by May price agreed has now been revised.

You benefit you get would not cover also, MOT Insurance, any repairs.  These are all provided and covered by the Scheme and the Dealership.

I myself as  young driver in the eighties would save constantly, remember those days being employed I did not ask to be part of the scheme.  Even though I was told I could have been.

Putting away £3000 plus every three years then buying another car against what they will offer was an option I have to do.  So I would have the car for three years maybe four then get an offer of around £1500 or less put that with any savings, new car.  Do it again.

The biggest expense is the insurance what I think a lot of people do not know, I do having worked in employment in these companies.  You are disabled means unfortunately increased Insurance premiums.  I drive an automatic the extra's and excess is about then nearly £150 plus on the premiums all depends where you live.

Insurance Companies know you have the disability but in their eyes you are an Insurance risk.  Sorry to say that but it is true, one time the cost for one year one year nearly was a quarter of the cost I had paid for the car.  Which stung me nearly every month.

In those days I had employment and a was running a business part time.  I could afford it but still felt done by.

That is the reason many are disheartened to los the car if they fail on assessment or are awarded not the higher rate of motobility.

There are new rules regarding those who have failed.  Package of measures of transition.  Problem is there are certain restrictions. 

The cost to the Government this has been in the media later, regarding costs and other facts about the mismanagement of money.  Will that effect us all who are in the scheme, who knows.

All I am concerned for is the welfare and well being of those who qualify for the scheme, now being told not qualified.  Due to PIP review.

Being those who have lost independence rely on getting to places or for social means.  Find it a struggle and a loss to their lives.  I lived in villages often with poor transport links, few other alternatives.  I have used public transport and have many not pleasant experiences on them.

I believe that you can buy your car that you have leased, on the scheme if you wish to if you fail after revised PIP.  Then you will have to maintain the car yourself.  Problem is the rising costs of the car.

I have read many opinions on the scheme and I hope for changes, should be.  How and when that is up to the Government of the day.

All I see is members of our community constantly striving to be part of society and being independent is part of that is it not.  Yet getting knock backs and feel threated by the changes to their lifestyle due to revision of benefit.  That is also important as well trying to support those, in need.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    My thoughts are that the motability scheme is a good one, and one that many people depend on. There are a lot of misconceptions and it is sad to see some of them being perpetuated here.

1. Disabled are not 'given' a car, they choose to hire one.
    2. Disabled people with motability cars do pay for things like insurance and road tax, it is factored into the hire cost.
    3. As with any long term car hire agreement there is an agreed time span, this allows the recovery of the cost of the car and other costs, but also reflects that after a set period the cost of maintaining a large fleet of hire cars becomes more expensive.

With regards to high reserves in the charity accounts and high pay of the top  boss this 'came to light' with usual standard of reporting and bias of the Daily Mail. Here is a public response to their report:

"Motability Operations Group is not a charity and does not come under the Charity Commission's jurisdiction as charity law regulator. The company provides a commercial service to the charity Motability, which in turn oversees the Motability Scheme. As many people have stated the Motability scheme provides an absolutely vital and important service to thousands of people across the UK.

"The Charity Commission is aware of the issues reported in the media today and indeed recently undertook a detailed review of the charity's financial accounts and of its relationship with the non-charitable company Motability Operations. That review did not identify regulatory concerns about the charity's governance or its relationship with the commercial company. It is not for the Commission to comment on the pay of the CEO of a large non charitable commercial company. However, we have made clear to the trustees of the charity Motability that the pay of the CEO of its commercial partner Motability Operations may be considered excessive and may raise reputational issues for the charity. These reputational issues are for the trustees to manage.

"We also made clear, following the conclusion of our review last year, that we consider the level of operating capital held by the company in order to guarantee the scheme to be conservative, and agreed with the charity, as part of its oversight of the scheme, that it would ensure this this matter is kept under continuous review.

"There is no further role for the Commission as regulator at this time."

So not the Motability charity.

@Budgie2 "but wouldnt pip be less stressful  for people if people bought their own ..."

PIP would be less stressful if the government followed it own rules rather than continuing its campaign against disabled people. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Having worked since 17!yrs old stopped at 60 with being diagnosed with MS, and awarded PIP low rate on both counts surrendered full driving license to a basic one and own my own car I bought two scooters one for home dog walking and the second for taking in the car boot for shopping ect. Now a year later and my condition has changed I have been awarded higher rate mobility. The car 66,000 on the clock 11years old cost £220 on insurance covering me and my two eldest daughters £70 full break down cover and £105 road tax. I renewed the tryes £200 and the MOT £45 new rear exhaust pile £80 plus I allow £40 fuel per month. Total cost for year £640 plus £480 = £1120. Higher rate mobility for a year is 52 X £58 =£3016 making me aprox £1896 better off and this year no road tax or tryes to buy. Remember you still have to pay for fuel and any insurance excess that arises if you make a claim. I am happy with my car easy acess and can take three adults plus scooter in boot for day out or three adults and child plus scooter on holiday to Cornwall do your sums make your chosse. I don't drink or smoke put money aside for later life did I do right or not I doubt it, the more you save the worst you are.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.