tax credit and esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

tax credit and esa

jamie1965
jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
hi does anyone know anything about still claiming working tax credits when sick pay has run out and having to claim esa 

Comments

• Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi @jamie1965
    Hope you're well and many thanks for your question.
    Have being on statutory sick pay for more 28 weeks? 
    in most cases you may be able to get working tax credits in addition to support allowance for the first 28 weeks if your income and savings are low.
    I would advise you to carry out a benefit calculation here , to see what you may or  may not be entitled to. Alternatively you can give the Scope help line a call on 0808 800 3333 and ask to speak to a benefit adviser or email at helpline@scope.org.uk 
    Hope that helps.

Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • jamie1965
    My company said they pay sick pay for 28 weeks and that I have had that over a period of 2016 2017 to now this illness I have been off since dec13 and they said I am entitled to 2 weeks wage this month then esa I thought it had to be 28 weeks in a row before they could stop my wage the working tax say you can claim for the first 28 weeks but does that mean the first 28 weeks of this illness 
  • Mwila_Scope
    edited February 2018
    Hi @jamie1965
    The 28 weeks period is calculated from the period of Incapacity for work with that particular employer (PIW)- a periods of sickness lasting 4 days or more in row. All days of sickness count towards the total number of days in PIW and therefore add up to the 28 weeks. 
    If you feel you have had less than the 28 weeks suggested you can contact ACAS  on 0300 123 110 
    hope that helps 
    Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
  • jamie1965
    Thank you yes work said that all sick days count towards the 28 weeks even thou sometimes have only been off 2 and 3 days I work for one of the big 6 energy companies and they normally make it up as they go along 
  • jamie1965
    So does this means would not be entitled to my working tax credits any more 
  • Mwila_Scope
    Hi @jamie1965

i wouldn't be able to say for sure, but there is a chance that the working tax credits would end after the 28 weeks period if you didn't return to work, but the best thing to do is get in contact with the tax credits office as they would be able to provide a more concrete answer. the Tax credits help line number is 0345 300 3900
    Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor

Brightness