Housing Association Removing Communal Stairway Lift. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Association Removing Communal Stairway Lift.

Options
cjazz
cjazz Community member Posts: 12 Connected
My wife who is disabled (registered) has a number of mobility issues.  We live in a ground floor flat and the block that we live in comprises of a ground floor and one upper level, four flats in total, we have lived in the flat for five years which is owned by a housing association.

Today we received a letter from the housing association that they are going to remove the communal stair lift.  My wife uses the stair lift for visiting upstairs neighbors and for closing the upper communal windows when I am not available.

I have spoken to the housing association who are adamant that the stair lift is to be removed due to it being a hazard i.e restricting access to the stairway during an emergency.  From what I can understand is that one of the tenants have complained that the stairlift is not required because the tenants on the upper floor are not disabled.

The complex where I live in comprises of three blocks all fitted with communal stairlifts and only my block has been targeted for the removal of the stairlift.  If the grounds for the removal of the stairlift are for safety reasons surely this should apply to all blocks even ones in different locations.

I am questioning if there is a case for disability discrimination by denying my wife the right to access the communal areas.

Any comments or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cjazz, thanks for sharing this with us. How frustrating for your wife to have to be disadvantaged, especially if this is due to another tenant complaining.

There's some good guidance on discrimination in housing on the Citizens Advice website, and the reasonable adjustments disabled tenants can expect; one of these relates to enjoying the property, which seems to be relevant to your case. If you do decide you want to take action, the same site also provides guidance on taking action against discrimination. Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on!
  • cjazz
    Options
    Thanks Pippa I have now raised a formal complaint to the housing association and I have also contacted my local MP because there does seem to be a irregularities in the The Equality Act 2010.  I will surely give an update when there is further news good or bad.
  • cjazz
    Options
    Update:
    After lots of meetings and discussions with the Housing Association which resulted in a formal complaint for the stair lift to remain in place.

The formal complaint has now been concluded and unfortunately the decision is still to remove the stair lift.

Because the two tenants on the first floor are able bodied they want the stair lift removed because it is causing an obstruction on the stair case. The housing association are playing on that it is a health and safety issue and that this is the reason why the stair lift is being removed.

The Equality advisory service are not happy with the removal of the stair lift although they have informed me if there is a concern like an health and safety issue the Housing Association can remove the stair lift.

There is no doubt that my wife has been disadvantaged with the removal of the stair lift. This is so wrong..

Brightness