Capita assessment tomorrow - stressed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita assessment tomorrow - stressed

squizzel
squizzel Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
thank you for letting me join this group. My wife has a capita assessment tomorrow at our home, and she is really stressing about it. She has uncontrolled epilepsy as well as angina, back and neck problems. Keeping fingers crossed.

Comments

• Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hi @squizzel

Just to say I am sure everything will be fine. Hope it all goes well. Fingers crossed for you 

best wishes 
    Sue 
  • Andreab
    Andreab Community member Posts: 9 Listener
  • Bill
    Bill Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hi @squirrell ,
    Welcome to the online community! Reassure your wife that the Capita assessment should not cause additional stress - your wife may find that the assessor has no medical qualification and so she should try and get all in copy (perhaps she is happy for another person to be present during the assessment).
    You don't say the reason for the assessment - this community has lots of advice about assessments for PIP.
    Bill
  • squizzel
    Thank you all, is it normal to just get a home visit? We didn't request one. But when the letter came through we had been given one.
  • squizzel

Thanks Bill.

I will be there with her throughout the assessment as I am her full time carer. She had DLA higher rate awarded for life, but now because of the change she has to be re assessed. She has uncontrolled epilepsy, angina, neck back and hip problems, as well as high blood pressure.

• Bill
    Bill Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hi @squizzel ,
    You're doing the right things - if you can 'speak' the language of the assessor, so much the better.
    Many in the community will not give advice on specifiic medical questions, but changing from the DLA (to  PIP) has been faced by many.

Bill
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @squizzel
    We have a video about preparing for an assessment that might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • squizzel
    Well assessment has now been done, Assessor was 15 minutes late and stayed for 1 1/2 hours. On the whole of it she seemed very nice, but that doesn't mean what she wrote down was I suppose. She said that she had read the fit diary that we sent in as part of the evidence and also picked up each one of her medication, and wrote down, type and how often it was to be taken. We had the standard questions about going out and walking, but was surprised that making a meal and using a knife was kept just to 2 questions.  I was allowed input especially when my wife struggled to answer, but to be honest she can't remember while she is having a fit. I made a point of saying that she can't administer emergency drugs while she is fitting either, that's my job to give rectal Diazepam when required to try and keep her from a hospital admission.
    So its a wait and see now and keep everything crossed. I will let you know how we get on with the decision when it comes. Also next week I am phoning and asking for a copy of the assessors report.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @squizzel, and glad to hear that things seemed to go well. As you say, requesting the assessors report is a good idea and will hopefully give you more of an insight into things. Do keep us updated and all the best to you and your wife! 
  • squizzel
    Lillybelle, I wish you good luck for tomorrow, I can say try not to worry but I know that's impossible. If you have someone that can be with you that knows you and your seizures that can help. Lets face it when you are unconscious you don't know what is happening.  Pippascope I will definitely keep you updated, just got to wait for that brown envelope now. I was watching the news tonight and found it disturbing that a nurse that used to work with capita, said that some of her reports were returned from the DWP. She said that they made her change the report in their favour, So is it the assessors or the DWP who are telling lies.
    I do have a confession to make, I had 2 recorders running for the whole interview, one was right between the assessor and my wife, but both picked everything up really clearly. We will see what comes back.
  • squizzel

Update to our PIP claim.
    We have had a copy of the assessment report back now, it seems as though we had a truthful assesser. She got the epilim dose wrong, she put 900mg once a day instead of twice, but everything else was ok. We had downloaded the criteria forms with scores and crossed reference them with the report. My wife got 18 points for care and 24 for mobility, but as we all know that the decision maker has the last say. We are just waiting for that letter now, keeping everything crossed.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds positive

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @squizzel Sounds like you will be OK and you've got the points I would be supeised if you don't  qualify. I done the same when I got my report and on the back where it states (review) will give a good indication if your in good hands and will recieve PIP.

The CM will go with the assessment report and im confident you will be OK.

Good luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• squizzel

Thanks all. the review bit on the back says that she recommends 3 years, as we have just got a new neurologist.
    Lillybelle I will keep everything crossed for you. Sometimes I don't think they can even imagine how Epilepsy can impact your life. Good luck and keep us informed.

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    squizzel said:

Thanks all. the review bit on the back says that she recommends 3 years, as we have just got a new neurologist.

@squizzel you will get an award (don't know how much of one) as it states a review in 3 years, one thing though is to remember yes it's 3 years but they review a year before an end date. I reckon the CM will follow the report you have.
    Good luck and let us know when you hear.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• squizzel
    The letter came today and she has maximum for both parts. She has it for 4 years (reviewed after 3), that was great news. Then in the same pile of post I get one from Customer Compliance Office. I have to attend an interview. I don't know what its for but I have to take in my driving license, utility bill and bank statements to the local job centre, on the day they say. I am her full time carer and get carers allowance and income support. They are stopping any help we get with the mortgage in April, so I don't know what this is for.
    Oh well something else to worry about now. 
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    @squizzel

Do you mind if I ask what area of the UK you are in? I had my F2F a day after your wife at home by Capita and anxious waiting on result.
    Shady.
  • Paul7210
    Paul7210 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    good luck @sdoc94 I hope you assessment goes ok, my wife has severe epilepsy and we faced two assessments in the home and well done @squizzel I really pleased your wife got the max of both elements, my wife got a 6 year award, and it's hard being a carer I hope you have been offered a carers and care needs assessment by social services? , I juggle work along side caring which keeps me busy. I wish anyone going through this stressful process for PIP all the best.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.