Claiming ESA for mental health successfully? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming ESA for mental health successfully?

jasmineP94
jasmineP94 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello,

I just wondered how likely it is I will be awarded ESA, I suffer with depression, severe anxiety and OCD. I can’t go out by myself, do not interact socially (haven’t seen any of my friends for over a year) I can’t touch anything without needing to wash my hands and I’m constantly thinking about germs/bacteria and anxious about becoming ill. I have, not to be dramatic, a poor quality of life. I have done drastic things in an attempt to not go out, for example, trying to break my own foot with a concerte slab as I find it so traumatising/anxiety provoking to go out. I also wash my hands so much that they are cracked and bleeding. I have to be supervised when preparing food (especially hot food) as I get very distressed when dealing with food and withdraw into myself and I am not aware of what is happening around me.

I have a mental health nurse and counselling, I also see my Gp regularly and I’m on 30mg citalopram.

Has anyone claimed ESA for similar problems and been successful?

thank you

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.