Physiotherapy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Physiotherapy

EmGem22
EmGem22 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited February 2018 in Cerebral palsy
Hi, I'm looking for advice on physiotherapy. I had my first session this week and the physio wants me to do movements that are so painful and I feel unachievable that trying to do them makes my tummy turn. The problem she is trying to treat is bone, although I have muscle and nerve problems too. Is this right? 

Comments

• ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hello @EmGem22

It sounds like you have been frightened by the thought of physio movements that feel completely unachievable and overwhelming.  Your physio knows your diagnosis/reason for referral, but after only one session you have not established a relationship yet.  
    Can you break down the exercises into more manageable chunks?  Try not to focus on the end result, but rather on a result for today?  If you are bale to complete one "repetition" today, tomorrow you might be able to manage two - build up slowly and if one day your pain flares, then reduce the number back down.  However....some pain will be inevitable as you use muscles that you haven't previously....you know your body and will know the difference.
    Try some mindfulness or meditation after you exercise - Headspace is a mindfulness app https://www.headspace.com/, or try Youtube https://youtu.be/t1BSDVADD4k
    https://youtu.be/IzV6J4WCwRM

Above all speak to your physio and to say how you feel. Keep in touch.

Wishing you a pain free weekend,
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • EmGem22
    EmGem22 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thanks Claire, I do mindfulness and bits of yoga. I have no problem with nerve or muscle pain being pushed by exercise, I do that myself. It's that she announced I had AS and told me which vertebrae are affected and then wanted me to touch my toes, I can' even see them and my body just won't go there. This is on top of other issues that stop my movement and three autoimmune conditions. It just felt wrong. Thanks again.
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    @EmGem22 This is so frustrating when a "professional" makes sweeping statements without knowing you first - I had something similar with a physio wanting to get some movement into a particular area of my back......that I had just had a spinal fusion on!!  
    It sounds to me like you have a lot going on, but that you do understand your body, your conditions and your current limitations.  You really don't want added stress that might interfere with an autoimmune condition.  Time in physio appointments is so limited  these days, but maybe your next session needs to be just talking?? Can you tell her that it felt so wrong?  Please let me know how you get on,
    Claire
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Has anyone suggested hydrotherapy to you?  This is an 'unknown' exercising programme in warm water (approx 34 degrees).  When supported in warm water it is so much easier to exercise, and the heat comforts our aching bones!
    This is a therapy that is highly recommended in Europe where they have lots of hot mineral springs - not so well known in UK.  You can find hydro pools in some private hospitals (Circle in Reading has a brilliant Aqua Treadmill) and I have started to compile a list at NHS hospitals - starting with London:  https://aftercancers.com/hydrotherapy-is-the-forgotten-exercise/
    do let me know of any outside London at verite@greenbee.net.  Thanks   
    N.B.  You can go to health clubs for swimming, but usually the water in their pools is only heated to 29-30 degrees, which is too cold for pain relief. 

Brightness