Extra costs as a disabled person - what are your life hacks? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extra costs as a disabled person - what are your life hacks?

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
Thank you so much for all your input on the Extra Costs posts, it is so helpful to hear about your real experiences.

Following on from that conversation, do you have any ‘work-arounds’ or 'life-hacks' for the extra costs you face as a disabled person?

What hints and tips would you give to others? 

My personal tip would be to google 'what am I entitled to with PIP/ESA/DLA (or whatever benefit you receive)?' as there are a lot of discounts and money off codes for disabled people, for example there is a card that entitles you to a free cinema ticket for a carer or supporter when you buy a ticket that I found out about recently.

Another personal tip that isn't necessarily for disabled people only is that a large bank in our town has a money lounge where you can go and sit, get free tea and coffee and hang out if you have a product with them, I didnt but got an account so I can access this.  They have a great accessible toilet and lots of seating and so it eases my mind when I am in town as I know there is a space I can go and sit if I am struggling.  Im also saving a fortune on getting cups of coffee!!

Let us know your tips, hacks or work arounds to save money as a disabled person? Let us know today.

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Some things that are vat free aren't always cheaper than buying from somewhere like Amazon where you have to pay the vat.

Sometimes, it does pay to shop around.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • nanof6
    nanof6 Community member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    hi i boil enough spuds for a month 20min   (  you would have to do 20min for 2 spuds ) mash them then with an ice cream scoop put them on a try, freese them, next day i bag 2 spuds in a bag , when they are all bagged up i put them back in the freeser, every morning when i want mash i just get a bag, of mash, i do the same with stuffing, and when i make a sponge cake i make 3 and put 2 in the freeser.
  • serobinson
    serobinson Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    I have a large pressure cooker. Purchased from a charity shop for £5. Lots of veg in there for 10 minutes. Make soupe. Freeze what we don't use that day. Also have halogen oven. Can do pies, chips, roste potatoes, chicken and pork. As long as not overfilled. Get things that have reached the sell by date. Freeze or cook and freeze. Sausages and bacon split into bags for 1 meal and freeze. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • DavidM
    DavidM Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    Remap volunteers make items of equipment to help disabled people free of charge. These range from neat adaptations around the home like making the shower easier to use through to mobility aids and sports equipment. There are examples of their work on the Remap website.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are paying for window cleaning service there are products on the market that prevent dirt and dust from sticking, often used on car windscreens

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Dasiydo
    Dasiydo Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
     I paid lot #Extra cost but I learn support not get paid for it but have paid for actives I do e.g Cooking, £3.25 £58 per month computer was £2.25 now £8.70 and 50p for Mother Day card and birthday card , At disability group I go to on different day in the morning going Risebrook Cafe have paid there for breakfast and had talk Meath health group well Recovery mealth health but promble on farm because buses won't be run and farm can't afford taxi got paid for taxi now ourselves At upper Morton farm and Lower Drayton farm I sick of #Extracost here give my free time as volutar(Learn support can't be volutar because haven't got funds for my half deaf so can't be volutar now) Just feel it madness
    V.shaw
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Victoriad said:
    Get a free bus pass plus companion free of charge anywhere within Scotland.

Get a Disabled Rail card £20 per year and enjoy 30%to 50% off all rail travel within U.K.
    The 3 year railcard is £54 for the 3 years.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I use the benefit money to get adaptive equipment for my son. Also I am currently looking into alternative funding options. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    When I am at a hospital appointment I have a written list of questions. I also found support in the form of online support groups for parents and families too. Being a mom of a child with a disability is isolating only if you let it be that way. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    DavidM said:
    Remap volunteers make items of equipment to help disabled people free of charge. These range from neat adaptations around the home like making the shower easier to use through to mobility aids and sports equipment. There are examples of their work on the Remap website.
    I`ve just had  browse of Remap`s website and boy! are those guys genious! Marvellous bits of kit!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.