Changing from DLA to PIP - could my assessment be done at home? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing from DLA to PIP - could my assessment be done at home?

boolesjules
boolesjules Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. I have been receiving the enhanced rate of mobility and the low rate for care allowance on the old disability allowance, I haven't yet been asked to apply for pip. I suffer with arthritis, bulging discs in my back and degenerative arthritis in my spine which is a nightmare in itself as well as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, tendinitis and depression and anxiety. I have also had a knee replacement and waiting for another one to try and ease the pain. Because of my back condition I still aren't able to walk more than 10 yards although every step I take is so painful I just cry.  There are days when I do nothing but sleep or stay in bed because the pain is so severe everywhere and the only time I can get out of the house is when my husband is home from work and he takes me for a drive on a weekend I feel I can manage it. Even then I have to be pushed in my wheelchair. Without him I would be totally house bound. 

I am am really dreading the time when I have to apply for pip as even the thought of it makes me so anxious and stressed the thought of having to talk to a stranger about how it affects me simply scares me. Could my assessment be possibly done at home where I feel comfortable? Any advice would be welcome please.
thank you for listening. 

Comments

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i had my pip assesment at home. i was expecting to have to go to a centre to be assessed. dont be nervous about it my. the worse thing you can do is stress yourself out
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Just had my assessment. One of the questions was had I self harmed. How can that affect my pip?  I am afraid to say the whole experience of the assessment upset me.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • charlene
    Thank you for your reply.  

• deb74
    hi charlene. I was asked if i had ever tried to commit suicide and this upset me because i did years ago and that is not something i like to think about but at the end of my assesment the assessor appologised for upsetting me.
  • charlene
    Hi Deb. The question just threw me and like you I did try  to commit suicide years ago and I have self harmed.  Most times I have my feelings under control, waiting to see a psychologist as my depression is moderately severe and anxiety is high. Not a good time to have an assessment.
  • deb74
    i was going through a really bad time and was taking anti depressents. not many people know about it not even my family. I saw a councillor. be prepared for them to ask you talk about things that have happened in your past that it may upset you to talk about. 
  • boolesjules
    It is difficult to tell someone about how you are feeling and how bad you have felt to even contemplate suicide, are you able to say just yes or no or do they want details about everything? I hope you are feeling better now? I truly understand what you have been or are going through. X
  • charlene
    They normally want the nitty gritty.  I have suffered depression since a child.  I now accept because of what happened when a child and in my teens I will always have periods of depression.  This bad bout started roughly September 2016.  My niece committed suicide just over 18months ago and it hit me so hard,. She was an alcoholic and drug addict. I had tried so hard to help her, she even stayed here a few times. I just wish see  would have phoned me, I would have tried to help her.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @boolesjules, I hope the above responses are helpful and if you would like any further guidance on preparing for your assessment, do let us know and we'll do our best to help!

So sorry to learn about your experiences @charlene, and that you had to share them during your assessment. It must have been really difficult for you. I'm glad to hear you're waiting to see a psychologist and I hope you can get the support you need. If you feel vulnerable in the meantime, the Samaritans are always available on contactable on 116 123 (UK). There are also other mental health helplines that you may like to check out.
  • boolesjules
    Oh Charlene, it's something that never goes away, councilling has told me to that you learn to live with your loss but in my experience it never goes away, I lost my sister who was only 39 very suddenly, no warning of viral enchaphalitis at all, she was healthy, vibrant and a lovely single mummy with 3 little boys.  I won't go into details as I find it extremely difficult and she passed 7 years ago. Still to this day I fall apart and 4 months ago I lost my mum who passed with a brain tumour, she died just 6 weeks after diagnosis and again I can't get over it.  Grieving and upsetting things I think have a massive impact on the way we feel and it seems to make our disabilities much worse.  I can't really explain it but any stress I feel seems to make my fibromyalgia worse somehow.  The drugs I take from the pain clinic (oxycodone, tramadol, gabapentin, fluoxetine and paracetamol) just knock me out and that's the only time I don't think about my grief.  I hate to admit it but I tried to end it all with an overdose but still I woke up.  
    Life has to go on doesn't it? I tell myself my family would hate me if I achieved suicide.  I live for them and my husband but every day is a chore but we will get through it. Please don't feel as if your on your own. 

Thank you Pippa, I will ask for help when I'm told to apply for pip. I really wouldn't know where to start. 
  • charlene
    To true thoughts of my niece are with me every day, she was 36. 
    like you my fibromyalgia is worsen by stress, the pip assessment has sent my pain levels high. My doctor put me on morphine patches at one stage, but I had no life I just slept. Then I started to have cold sweats day and night and when my nose started to run like a river, I thought enough is enough!
  • boolesjules
    Again such a young age to die. Bless her. The circumstances to which your niece passed are horrific Charlene. It's always the ones left behind that suffer and have to live with that for the rest of our lives.  
    I started on morphine patches, fentanal patches but I did nothing but itch and sweat and yes from my nose and even my ears.  Horrible things. How do you manage your pain now? 
  • charlene
    At present Tramadol, amitrptiline and paracetamol. I really don't think they work and am wondering if a visit to the pain is warranted. Went there about 10 years or more.
  • boolesjules
    Yes that's what I was taking many years ago. The amitriptiline made me like a zombie all day long, we get so used to what we are prescribed that in time they do stop working, we have to have the dose increased or let the doctor use you as a guinea pig until they find what works for us then when that stops working it starts all over again.  What these meds must be doing to our kidneys is anyone's guess? What else can we do other than try.  Did you get pip Charlene? 
  • charlene
    Helloboolesjules,  Appoiintment with doctor this morning.  Yes  I take 5 amitrptiline, at first I got tired but fine with them now.

waiting to hear of my plp assessment and told doctor abou my experience with them.  Are you on pip?
  • boolesjules
    Hi Charlene, I am still on disability allowance, higher rate for mobility and low rate for care. I have heard nothing but bad about the pip assessment, my aunt was on higher rate disability allowance for 3 years and high rate for care allowance too and they said she wasn't entitled to any of it? She is really poorly too. She has just had a court appeal for it and she said it was absolutely horrendous. She just wanted to leave. She should find out in a few days of their decision.  It really scares me as I just can't cope with negatives in any way. It makes me sound pathetic and I was always so strong and always worked really hard having a stressful job too.  My world fell apart when i could no longer work because of my illnesses. Was you on dla before your pip application? 
  • charlene
    Hello Boolesjules.  Am so sorry to hear about your Anty's ordeal, positive thoughts coming her way.  Yes I was on higher rate mobility and lower care. Thought I should have been on higher care but did nothing about it. 
  • boolesjules
    I will let you know the outcome of aunts tribunal. Hope you are okay and get pip too. please let me know how you get on. 
  • charlene
    Yes I will let you know the outcome.  I hope you and your Anty's are both well.
  • boolesjules
    Hi Charlene. Just to let you know that my Aunty won her tribunal and will receive the enhanced rate of mobility and the standard rate for daily living. They will also backdate her pay from first applying and being turned down for pip for the time it has taken which is 13 months. I'm please s for her as she is poorly and does need help. Hope you get your pip too. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.