Inaccessible tribunal hearing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inaccessible tribunal hearing

rhino1
rhino1 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
edited February 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello, Just been to see the court where my tribunal is being held, to check out the entrance area and parking facilities and it is littered with metre high posts (a bit like a slalom course) plus it's on a very busy three lanes road with about 5 parking spaces. Generally I would use my motability scooter but feel very vulnerable in this area.  Even the pavements are wonky, so not sure what to do as I have confirmed I use my scooter when going out. Any tips or advice please.  Without the scooter and the distance involved in getting to the actual room is going to be a problem. Many thanks.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @rhino1 and welcome to the community. My apologies for not being able to respond to you sooner.
    I'm not an expert, I'm afraid, and can't advise you directly, but we do have expert people here who will get back to you as soon as they can. Do I take it that the tribunal is about PIP? It so often is, and knowing which benefit might make it easier to point you in the right direction for advice.
    For what it is worth, you have found a safe place here and are among friends, so please don't be shy of telling us about yourself or of asking any questions. The better we get to know each other, the easier we may find ways to be of use to you.
    Warmest best wishes to you,

• rhino1
    Hi JennysDad, Many thanks for your response and you are quite right, it is a PIP tribunal. My reason for claiming PIP is I have had many knee and ankle operations and the last ankle fusion has failed.Basically I am walking (or struggling to walk) on a broken ankle and that is the surgeon's comments not mine. I lost my job because ATOS said I wasn't safe to do my job and the following day I had to attend an ESA meeting to find out why I was unfit to work and it was a meeting conducted by, you guessed it, ATOS! The lady then told me to go home immediately as I had been through enough (at the time I was recovering from the ankle fusion).  I am now waiting for major ankle surgery with a minimum 12 months recovery and non-weightbearing for at least 6 months. I have it in writing from the surgeon not to weight bear now. The tribunal is end of March so any advice and pointers is truly helpful. Thank you again so much for your time. Best regards Rhino1
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @rhino1

You could phone or write to the tribunal clerk, say that the venue is inaccessible for you and ask for your hearing to be moved to a more accessible venue.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    The CAB say:

The tribunal centre should be accessible, but write down details of any aids or help you’ll need, such as a sign language interpreter.

So as @Matilda says, it is worth getting in touch and explaining your needs.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • rhino1
    Many thanks. Everybody for comments will be contacting the court tomorrow regards. rhino1

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.