Need advice on work - adapting to a 10 hr a week job? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice on work - adapting to a 10 hr a week job?

Zan
Zan Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited February 2018 in Work and employment
I have recently found out that I have Sjogrens syndrome, as well as going through the menopause. And I am diagnosed with Cyclothmia. I  am trying to adapt to a 10 hour per week job, but can I get any more help or advice. Im currently very anxious and concerned as no matter how Im trying I cannot physically maintain a full time job, which brings out my cyclothmia. Im wondering how to survive?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Zan

Welcome to the online community :)

Sorry to read that you are really struggling. The community has a benefits advisor you can talk to. We all are here for you and we will do whatever we can in supporting you :)

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Zan, and welcome to the community. Glad to have you here.
    Your diagnosis appears to be cyclothymia, which is a new one to me :smile: Could you perhaps tell us a little more about it and how it affects you?
    You should know that you have found a safe place here and are among friends, so please don't be shy of telling us about yourself or of asking any questions. The better we get to know each other, the easier we may find ways to be of use to you.

I'm relatively new here, and not an expert, but there will be others along (like the lovely Ami) to chat with you in due course. Bear with us.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Zan
    Hello Richard

Thank you for the warm welcome to this forum, it's much appreciated. I have indeed last week found out, by paying a extortion amount money to my doctors, for my medical records that I was diagnosed with a rare disorder called Cyclothmia. The diagnosis was made in 2000 and 18yrs later I've just found this out. Which all makes perfect sense now, but the last 18 years have been the loneiest and living in hell.... Not understanding why everything is going wrong!!!! I also have ADHD (which I know about) and always try to subdue and compress it everyday, as it doesn't conform with society. What makes perfect sense is that after finding out that I have Cyclothmia, is that what brings on these episodes is stress and trauma, lol which my adhd always brings about.  I have grown children, all with adhd and add as well as learning disabilities.  My daughter has recently had a baby, but the child has been put up for adoption by the SS. I believe the trauma of the birth brought on a episode of Cyclothmia for my daughter. I wasn't heard or listened to by any agencies. My daughter and I are now having to go through the stress and trauma "of sense of loss" in bereavement for the darling babe. What hurts most is that I've now got to sit and wait for two police persons to knock at the door. 1 to make the tea the other to sit me down and tell me bad news, that my daughter has took her own life.  And I can't help but know that if I had known about this condition, then I could have adjusted my life and my children's lives and needs for the better, and we wouldn't have been so misunderstood by agencies, friends and family. But most importantly and crucial is that my daughter as a young mother would have got the help and support she needed and this would have kept a very loving yet quirky family together. TBH !!! Im broken physically, mentally and emotionally, just because people took it to with hold Life Changing Information for a family to change their lives for the better, rather than beat our personalities, and traits and characters down and ultimately being misunderstood. And despite all of this I still want and do work, but at this point in time and my life and conditions. To do a full time role will kill me off in a tick tick boom way !!!!

Zanne ;0)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Zan
    Welcome to the community, I hope one of our employment advisors will be along soon to help with your question. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • JennysDad
    Hi Zanne, @Zan, and thank you for getting back to us.

If I understand correctly - and you must, please, tell me if I do not - you and your daughter are grieving over your granddaughter who has been taken into care? And you are anxious that your daughter may try to end her own life because that has happened?
    And can you tell me a little more about the difficulty you've had accessing your records? I do not for minute understand why you would have had to pay for that.
    When I wanted to see my own records - particularly psychiatric records from my youth - my GP sent a request in for them and was subsequently told that the files had been lost. Oddly enough, when, years later and after the death of my daughter, I had to visit the same psychiatric unit as a result of panic attacks, there was the nice fat folder of my records sitting on the psychiatrist's desk!
    Seems they only failed to find them because I wanted them :smile:
    So, please let me know if I've understood correctly, and perhaps tell me more about how it came to cost money to access your own records.
    Here, listening,
    Richard
  • Zan
    Hi Richard

You are correct on all the above. The only reason why I asked for my medical records is that in the beginning of Jan this year, I went to the doctors with a swollen knee and there the doctor advised me that I have sjogrens syndrome, which was diagnosed in 2016. The consultant and doctors failed to tell me this at the time. I've paid for my medical records to see exactly what and when my ailments started and what was diagnosed. And it is was to help me fill in the ESA forms, as the doctor had signed me off work. Subsequently I came across this Cyclothmia diagnosis.  I feel let down, by many agencies. And the trust isn't there. Which left to do my own FBI work.
    Regards
    Zan
  • JennysDad
    Hi again, Zanne, @Zan and it's good to hear from you. Paying for records must be something new, but then I'm an old guy and things have certainly changed! And distrust of the agencies that are supposed to be there for our support is nothing new, believe me. You'll find any number of fellow sympathisers here.
    To some extent your 'big issue' is perhaps about sorting out what you are entitled to in terms of benefit. This online benefits calculator seems to get a lot of recommendations :https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check?_ga=2.119995149.405444417.1517054923-1832321402.1513208436 Perhaps you'd like to give it a try? Alternatively you might visit the 'Ask a benefits advisor' forum at http://https//community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-a-benefits-advisor
    Others, anyway, will be along to talk to you about these things, but it will do no harm to give them a try.
    I lost my daughter, the little girl in the picture, more than a quarter of a century ago, and have some understanding of what you must be going through relative to your granddaughter. I also 'lost' my son for a year when, at a time when we were planning to come down to London, he opted to stay with his birth mother. I did not know, at the time, that it would prove to be for something less than a year, and it broke my heart to leave him behind.
    Hope some of this makes sense. Here and listening.
    Warmest best wishes, always,
    Richard
  • Donisha_Scope
    Donisha_Scope Scope Posts: 36 Courageous

Hi @Zan,

Thank you for your enquiry and welcome to Scope's online community.

It sounds like you have had some challenging situations to deal with, however, there is absolutely support available to you.

In terms of employment, would you like to remain in your current role but receive advice on adjustments or would you like guidance with finding another job?

If you would like assistance with finding a new job, Scope’s Support to Work service is a great starting place.

The service offers 12 weeks of digital support with getting back into employment.

Our employment advisers provide tailored action plans, guidance with CV and cover letter writing, mock interviews, job application support and benefit advice.

If you would like more information or to join the service, please feel free to fill out an online referral form on https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment/support-work?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz_zA2uzD2QIVRbobCh0u8Aw2EAAYASAAEgI-VvD_BwE or call us on 0300 222 5742.

In regard to finances, you could find out what benefit/grants you are entitled to, by visiting the Turn to us website on https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants.

Kindest regards,

Donisha

Donisha
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness