About a pip claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

About a pip claim

Options
Hadenough
Hadenough Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I just don’t now where to go or what to do  , if anyone can help us please , I’m not handling things very well at the moment, 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hadenough, and welcome to the community! I hope we can help you. Are you wanting to apply for PIP?

This information is from the gov.uk website on PIP:

Claim by telephone or textphone

Before you call, you’ll need:

• your contact details, for example telephone number
    • your date of birth
    • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
    • your bank or building society account number and sort code
    • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
    • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

You can then call the PIP claims line.

DWP - PIP claims
    Telephone: 0800 917 2222
    Textphone: 0800 917 7777
    Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766 
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges

What happens next

1. You’ll be sent a ‘How your disability affects you’ form. Call the PIPenquiry line if you need it in an alternative format such as braille, large print or audio CD.

2. Fill in the form using the notes that come with it to help you. You can also read Citizens Advice’s help on filling in the form.

3. Return the form to DWP - the address is on the form.

4. To assess the level of help you need, an independent health professional will either invite you to a meeting or ask your health or social care worker for information.

5. If you’re invited to a meeting, you’ll be asked questions about your ability to carry out activities and how your condition affects your daily life. The meeting can be either at your home or at an assessment centre, and will take about an hour. You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

6. You’ll get a letter that tells you whether you’ll get PIP. If you do, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and the date it will be reviewed so that you continue to get the right support.

You can’t apply using any Disability Living Allowance (DLA) forms you may have.

Other ways to claim

If you find it difficult to use the telephone, you can claim by post or by using a text relay or video relay service.

Send information by post

You can get a form to send information by post (although this can delay the decision on your claim). Write a letter to ask for the form.

Personal Independence Payment New Claims 
    Post Handling Site B 
    Wolverhampton 
    WV99 1AH 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Be honest when you fill in the form as at the acessment the acessor will question you about the answers you put down in the PIP questionnaire form and you will have to justify your answers as to why you can or can't do the activities that you stated in the form. The acessment Center knows how far distances are from the nearest bus stop, car park or rail station so when asked how you came to acessment if you used public transport or drove yourself or even a friend takes you they will know how far you had to walk from car park bus stop ect. So when the acessor asks about your mobility they will know you can walk X amount of distance by your answer of how did you arrive. Good luck.
  • sdoc94
    sdoc94 Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    I would recommend visiting Citzen's Advice Bureau for help filling in the form! Very worthwhile.
    Shady.
  • Hadenough31
    Hadenough31 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your help
  • Tricia1912
    Tricia1912 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Options
    I’m confused about all this. DLA getting stopped. Been asked if want to apply for pip said yes. I thought pip was for working ages. I will be 68 in December so thought it would be more attendance allowance. So not sure where l stand or really go forward. I don’t have a support worker. I got lowest DLA for washing cooking etc. Because of a shoulder problem and four operations later. I have problems with my neck arm and can’t hold things properly or undo buttons laces etc.  But since then l have had both hips replaced and one done twice. Neither very successful and have arthritis in spine had injections but not worked. I have problems walking and can’t get too far. My husband helps me dressing showering etc housework. But last time l went to doctors it was with my knee l now have arthritis in and she wanted to refer me for a replacement but with each operation l get less mobility. Has anyone got any advice or tell me where l go from here. I see in letters people have a lot more problems. Have support workers letters etc. Please help me. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m confused about all this. DLA getting stopped. Been asked if want to apply for pip said yes. I thought pip was for working ages. I will be 68 in December so thought it would be more attendance allowance. So not sure where l stand or really go forward. I don’t have a support worker. I got lowest DLA for washing cooking etc. Because of a shoulder problem and four operations later. I have problems with my neck arm and can’t hold things properly or undo buttons laces etc.  But since then l have had both hips replaced and one done twice. Neither very successful and have arthritis in spine had injections but not worked. I have problems walking and can’t get too far. My husband helps me dressing showering etc housework. But last time l went to doctors it was with my knee l now have arthritis in and she wanted to refer me for a replacement but with each operation l get less mobility. Has anyone got any advice or tell me where l go from here. I see in letters people have a lot more problems. Have support workers letters etc. Please help me. 

Hi,

Everyone that was under 65 on 8th April 2013 will eventually be invited to apply for PIP and unfortunately you're one of them. The reason it's taken so long is because the backlogs have been ridiculous and they are massively behind in inviting people.

If you don't ring DWP to start your claim off your DLA will stop. This is the last chance you have to apply for PIP, if you don't apply now then it will become Attendance Allowance.

Once you start the claim off you'll be sent a PIP2 form that needs to be filled in an returned with all your evidence to support your claim. You can ask them to take your DLA file into consideration when you ring to start your claim but i'd still send more up to date relevant evidence.

Once you receive the form you'll need to fill it out with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them.

Also be aware that PIP is different to DLA and is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity against the PIP descriptors. It's not about a diagnosis.

This link is very useful to read and will help you understand what the descriptors are and what they mean.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tricia1912
    Tricia1912 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Options
    Tricia1912
    Thankyou Poppy123456
    The thing that bothers me the most is l don’t have papers to support me. The last hospital visit was last year after 12 check up after hip revision l wad referred to physio after the final one the physio said things wouldn’t get any better and more or less said ld have to get on with it. Was having prob with knee which results in replacement but am putting it off because after every op lm less mobile and lm bad enough but am suffering in the meantime. Will l lose out because lve got no paperwork. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    Tricia1912
    Thankyou Poppy123456
    The thing that bothers me the most is l don’t have papers to support me. The last hospital visit was last year after 12 check up after hip revision l wad referred to physio after the final one the physio said things wouldn’t get any better and more or less said ld have to get on with it. Was having prob with knee which results in replacement but am putting it off because after every op lm less mobile and lm bad enough but am suffering in the meantime. Will l lose out because lve got no paperwork. 
    No one can say what evidence if any is relevant.
    Put it this way the assessor and the DWP know nothing about your disabilities and how they impact on your life.
    You can tell them all about these problems on the claim form (PIP2). However you won't expect them to believe anything you say or tell them without being able to prove your case.

So looking at what you put on the form think - now how can I prove that what I have said is the truth?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Not everyone has paperwork when you have long term conditions. More important is to give examples of what happens when you attempt each of the descriptors, try and paint a picture of what your daily life is like.

There are two elements to PIP, Daily living and mobility. If you are having trouble with mobility, this is the only time that you could be awarded the mobility component. Once past SRA then the mobilty award that you accept will carry forward while you meet the criteria but can never be increased in the future.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited June 2019
    Options

Not everyone has paperwork when you have long term conditions. More important is to give examples of what happens when you attempt each of the descriptors, try and paint a picture of what your daily life is like.
    The idea is right, but to be honest writing and telling the assessor/DWP that you cannot walk any further than 20 metres citing the fact that in doing so you would fall over would not be that helpful. Unless the assessor forces you to walk 21 metres and you fall over and crack a few teeth then you would have to think of some other way of proving the claim as well as formulating a compensation claim against the assessor for failing their duty of care.
    I don't even want to go there where you claim that you cannot clean yourself after going to the toilet!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.