Employment Law - Unfair dismissal or sanctions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment Law - Unfair dismissal or sanctions

AmyVW
AmyVW Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hello
I live in South Scotland and we have had pretty bad snow over the last few days. As a result I have not been able to get to work safely so have remained off. While it felt like the decision was mine to make and the company supported I am worried though.
I am already above the allowed days off in a 26 week period so I have a meeting about that. I am worried that these extra days off will make it worse and the penalties more worse
Do I have any protection under employment law?'
Thanks
Amy 
*Its all about seeing the ABILITY within the disABILITY*
*People who are different their time is coming* Tracy Turnblad - Hairspray 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AmyVW

Most companies in conditions like this are understanding and unlikely to take action against you because of this, as long as you have followed your company procedures or instructions from your line manager. For example if you are supposed to ring in each day, unless your manager has said okay and told you not to bother calling in each day.

Regarding the amount of protection you might have could depend on why you have taken this time off and how long you have been with the company. For example if you are still in your probationary period, or still within a period where you have received a final written warning and procedures were followed.

These things can be very difficult to judge from outside a company, and even within a company different managers can have very different attitudes. Most, if not all, will have absence triggers which result in a meeting for a discussion. In general these discussions are to alert you that you have exceeded the triggers and being monitored - this gives those who are taking advantage to buck their ideas up. Another reason for this type of meeting is to find out what is going on with the employee and if there is additional support they can provide. 

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.