How can I ensure I'm put in the Support Group? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I ensure I'm put in the Support Group?

Options
suzyc1954
suzyc1954 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi - I am completing an ESA50 and have completed this quite well but I am anxious to be put in the Support Group because of my condition which is severe COPD and have 32% lung capacity.  I am unable to do very much because the slightest exertion leaves me very breathless.  How do I persuade the assessors that I should be in the Support Group without sounding like "teaching your granny to suck eggs" or upsetting sensibilities. I know I can go through the descriptors and can satisfy quite a number for the SG but obviously I don't want to overstep the mark completing my application.  Thanks and regards.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suzyc1954, and welcome to the community!

As you say, it certainly sounds as though you should be in the support group. However, it's really difficult to predict what outcomes will be ahead of time. Have you sent off the assessment yet? 

Citizens Advice have some great in-depth guidance on filling in the ESA form which you may like to double check your own answers against, and our community members may be able to share some tips too. These support group descriptors may also be helpful. I really hope you get the outcome you're hoping for and if not, we'll do our best to rectify things. Do keep updated and we'll advise where we can! 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi suzyc1954, 

Apart from explaining your limitations as clearly as you possibly can on the ESA50 form, providing whatever medical evidence you can is also important in getting the best outcome possible. There's not a lot else you can do if you do those two things. Good luck.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    To add to the already great advice?

As I suffererer I have COPD with other many issues I face I also make very stange noises when I move. I sent with my forms my diagnosis of my COPD as I'm also at stage 3 Explain in full how it affects you and if you have an assessment they will certainly hear your breathing issues. 
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.