Disabled ID Card - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled ID Card

Comments

• jubbyuk
    jubbyuk Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    This has come up on Facebook quite a lot, as someone mentioned. But I'm a bit reluctant to purchase something that doesn't appear to widely recognised. But a credit card sized document (I do have my disabled persons railcard plus bus pass) would be useful.
    It isn't recognised by lots of places.

A formal card would be ideal for those who do not qualify for a bus pass
  • DIDcard18Admin
    DIDcard18Admin Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited March 2018
    Hi my names Damien I have just read through all your comments. I have recently taken on a role in DID card in the admin department. We are working on all of the points raised here please believe from our point of thing this what we need. Discussion and awareness for people who like us need a easy solution to stop the unwanted justification or having to produce documents. We want this to be the solution to prevent unwanted tension its there so there is no extended wait and made to feel on show.  The access card is a similar type card but is majority for events such as concerts theatres and museums. Various other places. We aim for our card to run along side all these cards that may be available to people who have medical needs we want our card to be your proof of ID we are more recognised now. We are making several improvements to our card so we can display what information would be required by all body’s who offer cards or accept proof of extra requirements. [email address removed by admin]
  • Circe
    Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    I have an invisible disability and I'm having a right game trying to ding something like these cards (I will be googling these soon!). I've been trying to sign up to concessionary bus pass with Staffordshire County Council, online the drop box of conditions is limited so the process crashes, so of I trott to local library as you can have them done there. First visit  was told I was lacking medical evidence so I go again, beR in mind walking is painful for me and this is the second trip into town. This time I'm armed with everything! ID, medical info what I have got, letter from DWP stating I'm applying for pips. Occupational health letters stating I'm under the Equality act as disabled. Get to the library (I am expecting to be interviewed by said council as it does say that on the bumpth leaflet). Same jobsworths in the library I may add. I place all my info before the gatekeepers of the sacred application for a bus bass. What happens? We can't do it till you get your pips score! ****. Trying not to shout out  do you realise how much **** pain and energy it took me to return here. So basically ,your telling me I can't apply for a pass because the evidence you asked me to bring isn't actually in your tick box. At time like this I'd quite like the opportunity to shove a disabled ID card at said jobsworths. I also, joking aside  feel like I'm in disability black hole, so to me I can't get any help or recognition that I'm actually decrepit until I hear from DWP and that will be **** ages as I'm still waiting for bloody claim forms to arrive after two weeks! I'd welcome a card that is easier to get hold of based on my medical records or such like .I'm not a fraud, so why is it so difficult to get anyone to actually say - I'm disabled ffs! Anyone else had this frustrating experiences? 
    Carpe Noctem
  • ellie_mae
    ellie_mae Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi my names Damien I have just read through all your comments. I have recently taken on a role in DID card in the admin department. We are working on all of the points raised here please believe from our point of thing this what we need. Discussion and awareness for people who like us need a easy solution to stop the unwanted justification or having to produce documents. We want this to be the solution to prevent unwanted tension its there so there is no extended wait and made to feel on show.  The access card is a similar type card but is majority for events such as concerts theatres and museums. Various other places. We aim for our card to run along side all these cards that may be available to people who have medical needs we want our card to be your proof of ID we are more recognised now. We are making several improvements to our card so we can display what information would be required by all body’s who offer cards or accept proof of extra requirements. [email address removed by admin]

• ellie_mae
    ellie_mae Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Hi Damien
    I have just applied for my card today.
    In my book anything that can prove my situation when buying tickets for any reason is a godsend.
    We recently booked a mobility scooter for  an attraction and when we arrived and tried to buy a disabled + carer ticket, we were asked for proof I was disabled DLA award or blue badge.
    We pointed out, yes we have a blue badge, it's displayed in the car in the disabled bay we are parked in and we have booked and paid for mobility scooter hire.
    After some discussion we were granted admittance.
    No way am I going to carry my DLA awards letter with me, it has private information on it, I loose things on a regular basis and it is needed to access so many other things, Warm Home Grant being one of them.
    Please keep ploughing on with this, it's needed and it's voluntary, so if people have an issue with it, don't get one.
  • cmci
    cmci Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    Hi Damien - how would you feel about a miniature, wallet sized blue badge as well as the blue badge as we know it?
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    @OlliHannah iv got a id card but not this one took 5 days to come after checks x
  • happy123
    happy123 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    I have ordered one ' seems a good idea imo..I use my Freedom Pass quite happily contained within it's disability wallet 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Where did you get your freedom pass from?
    Iv not seen one of these could be useful for disabled people.
    A phone number would help please
    Many thanks 
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    Some counties have a yellow disabled card, it dosen't have a photo and is voluntary to join.
    I use that to show I'm disabled.
    Also my disabled bus pass comes in handy as well, that's got my photo on. 
  • KG100
    You get the disabled bus pass from the local council, I think it's also called the freedom bus pass now. 
    I just call it the disabled bus pass. 
  • jubbyuk
    jubbyuk Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Again no good if you don't qualify because you are not disabled enough or have the right kind of disability.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Disabled bus pass is now very often called the freedom pass. There's certain criteria to be eligible for this but all local councils are different. https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-disabled-bus-pass

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lori5000
    lori5000 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    i have just renewed my Daughters DID card we have used it for zoos, safris and trampoline parks had no trouble with it. its really handy would highly recommend
  • KG100
    I got myself a DID photo card a couple of months a go, I didn't think it would be any good but have used it a few times now to save money.
    I've used it at museums and other tourist attractions, It's handy having our photo on it. 
  • KG100
    They're easy to apply for and mine came within 4 days. 
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    i have a invisible disability and so on face value it's looks like a good idea, but on a quick internet search for reviews, i find most who comment on it say it's has such a very limited use, it's practically useless, but maybe wrong
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    @amandat29, this may be useful for you :)
    Scope

• KG100
    zakblood said:
    i have a invisible disability and so on face value it's looks like a good idea, but on a quick internet search for reviews, i find most who comment on it say it's has such a very limited use, it's practically useless, but maybe wrong
    That's exactly what I thought, I spent a long time thinking about it.
    But I think having the photo on it makes it easier for people not to question our invisible disabilities. 
    Before I got the DID photo card I just showed my yellow disabled card which dosen't have my photo on. 
  • NitramM
    NitramM Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I used to have DID card but I am a bit at loss over why we all need to renew Disability ID either on every or  two years. Another pass like Bus pass which may be need to be renewed on every 5 or 10 years without any payment for this. I also have noticed that Disability ID fee were increased every year.  

Brightness