ESA After the fit for work assessment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA After the fit for work assessment.

J81
J81 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all , I went onto ESA last July following a flare up with what I now know is fibromyalgia and mental health issues. I had my assessment on 7th Feb. I know this isn't long ago but my anxiety is through the roof waiting. According to the report I have had the nurse assessing me recommended SG. However the decision maker has still not made a decision.
The had the report on 12th Feb. I have called a few times (with encouragement from friends I struggle with making calls etc) to try put my mind at rest. No decisions still. When I called yesterday, the call handler said there was no decision yet but put me on hold as she needed to go through to DM. Is this normal ? She then come back and said again no decision and that they allowed the DM as long as it took to make the correct decision.
I told her hat my reason for calling was as this situation the not knowing etc is having a negative affect on my mental health.
I don't understand the hold up
? I know someone who had the assessment the day before me and had decisions within 2 weeks unfortunately he is having to do MR ( We are both in same area South Wales).
TIA 

Comments

• J81
    Hi thanks for you reply and sharing your experience, yes I know it can take as long as it takes unfortunately. Just wait and see and hope to get some sleep in the mean time lol. I have had the report in which it's recommended SG, But I am aware decision makers don't always stick with this guidance so until I actually get the decision, I will be on edge. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi J81,

The DWP pay Capita and Maximus/ATOS to do these assessments on their behalf and I would say a large majority of the decisions reflect the opinion of the healthcare professional so I would be very surprised if you weren't put in the support group if that's what the assessor has recommended.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• J81
    Thank you for your response. I am still waiting on the decision. Just hoping it's not much longer now though... thanks again.
  • J81
    I am still waiting for the decision 6 weeks later. I am living in poverty, on my nerves and so fed up of waiting. I know people have waited longer for decisions I Just do not understand the hold up. When it appears a simply yes to support group(an advisior on phone confirm it looks like support ) but still not a word from them. Is there any way I can get this speed up... 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.