Do not understand — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do not understand

mobbba
mobbba Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Hi..if anyone can help....My appeal is tomorrow .,Feeling so distressed. My advocate has emailed me.  I understand the bit where I have to answer the panels questions, but what does it mean where my case is on paper?  I am attending.  Could anyone explain for me please:

''You also need to understand that we can prep you before the hearing but cannot speak for you, you have to answer the questions and we are not allowed to interrupt as panel have to hear it as you see it and live it not us. We get to ask questions at the end and often a little at first however we will be presenting your case on paper mostly and really it is not essential that we are there as all arguments are on the submissions we send and discuss in advance''

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi mobbba,
    i had my appeal tribunal last week and if you take anyone with you they are NOT allowed to talk on your behalf. I have difficulty talking especially when anxious and still I had to try. 
    they did ask my friend a few questions at the end and asked if he had anything to ask.
    im not sure what it means when you say “ presenting you care on paper mostly!! 
    Maybe you should call to find out
    sorry I can’t be of much help but want to say , stay strong and good luck 
    Susan
  • mobbba
    Thank you Susan, I have tried to call but they are in court.  I don't even know what my submission to the court says.  I feel a bit let down, I have paid them £300 in total to support me x
  • susan48
    Have you not got copies of the paperwork from the DWP and tribunal etc? 
    Try and find out ASAP what’s in the submission, your advocate should know.
    I would feel the same tbh, especially paying for support with your much needed money.
    I didn’t know advocates required money!!?? 
    If it were me, I would keep calling because surely someone else could look into your paperwork if the person is in court and your so worried!
    Susan 
  • mobbba
    Thank you...I have rang again.  Someone will be in touch before the hearing.  Its just that bit about ''presenting my case on paper mostly'' and discussing the case beforehand...with who.....Not much sleep for me tonight.
  • susan48
    Hi
    I can totally sympathise, at least try and rest.
    Before the hearings not much good for your anxiety!!
    Could they mean, most of your evidence is written down already and been presented? 
    Id guess discuss with your advocate, probably, and I’m only guessing.
    To be honest I spent most of the evening before my tribunal hearing reading posts in this site. 
    Great advise.
    The questions the board will ask are anyone’s guess but what I’d say is....
    Stick to what the question is and straight short answers unless they ask you to explain further. 
    My hearing was running behind so spent 40 minutes twitching , Iv got involuntary body movements, in the waiting room. 
    Try and rest and please let me know if I can help you with anything else 

Please let me know how it goes too.
    Susan x
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Surely if they have taken £300 of you they should at least make sure you understand everything.
    I would expect a phonecall, not an email- unless you have difficulty with this. 

The idea of having to go to court would scare me death! 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • susan48
    Well said whistles, 
    i didn’t know you had to pay for these services!,
    The tribunal is scary, it was terrifying , but unfortunately that’s what this government have made worthy people do to try and “save money “.
    They don’t care about the stress and anxiety going through a tribunal costs us mentally 

Susan
  • whistles
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • susan48
    Hi Victoriad,
    I stay in East Central Scotland, I will check out Circles when I’m feeling up to it.
    I actually didn’t know about the advocacy services even existed until I read it on Scope.
    im so glad I found this site, it’s full of helpful information and posts, helps to know your not alone.

Susan
  • susan48
    How are you doing Mobbba?
    I hope the advocacy services have contacted you today regarding your hearing tomorrow.
    I hope you manage to get some sort of rest tonight.
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you tomorrow.

Good Luck
    Susan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • susan48
    Hi mobbba,
    i hope your ok and today, the tribunal went ok and wasn’t to stressful for you.

take care
    susan
  • mobbba
    Hi Susan...Did not win my appeal.  Cant speak now so gutted.  They slaughtered me in there. Hypothetical questions.  it was very bad x

• whistles
    So sorry. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • susan48
    I’m so sorry but I understand your distress. As can everyone, whistles says it all :(
    Please try and stay strong, I know it’s really difficult.
    Its absolutely shocking the way they make you feel.
    You can still appeal that decision, I think.
    Im here if and when your ready to chat

Susan
  • mobbba
    edited March 2018
    Hi everyone....Just a note from yesterday.  I am heartbroken.  Just feel totally let down. Lost the appeal. I am 68 years old. I am crippled with Arthritis, need knee replacement, hip replacement, mid foot fusion and ankle replacement.  I have COPD, Asthma and mental health problems. I struggle to walk with the pain and breathlessness. All this is backed up by Consultants, Mental health professionals and my GP. 

I felt ridiculed by the Judge because I did not understand a question.  One major thing that has really upset me.  Something serious and bad happened to me some years ago causing me to have a mental breakdown.  I had therapy from Clinical Psychologist for 7 years and have since had CBT.

The judge asked me what happened..  I said I would rather not discuss this, she said well we can't progress then. The doctor stepped in and asked my advocate if she knew, to which she said no. He then said to me you need to tell us what happened.  I started shaking uncontrollably, I felt sick, was breathless. Not one of the panel asked me if I was ok. I then had to say what happened. 

I am so upset, to be honest I feel totally let down.  The grilling they gave me was the worst I have ever had to encounter.
  • susan48
    Mobbba, 
    Im really shocked and disgusted at the judge and others there.
    Its absolutely appalling.
    I don’t understand why they basically blackmailed you into telling them something, which I really don’t think has any relevance in your medical problems, possibly mental health but why ask you something that clearly Is disturbing and you’d rather forget!! 
    I have mental health problems and have had a few things happen in my life, I tried to take my own life a few years ago, it was in my tribunal paper.
    The professor bit ask when my problems start and I said around the time of the overdose but not once did they ask me why I did it or even what happened.
    Maybe when your feeling a little less upset you could call the CAB or Law centre near you to ask advice.

I hope you at least got a little rest last night.

Always here 
    Susan
  • mobbba
    Susan...Thank you for your support.
    The Doctor asked me a hypothetical question.  If you were in your street and there were 3 fire engines an ambulance and police cars outside your home and you were 200 meters from your home and you could not get home what would you do.  I said I said I would wait a while to see if it cleared, Doctor said its not clearing for 24 hours., what will you do to get home.  I said I would have to walk.  I know it will take ages and I would be in pain and breathless but I would have no other choice.  He said there you are you can walk if you put your mind to it.

Plus many other questions like that.

Thank you
    Carole
  • susan48
    OMG...
    Mobbba,
    I wonder what the doctors answer who be...
    I wouldn’t know how to answe that, clearly it’s not ever happened so how would anyone know???
    And to say “ you can walk if you put your mind to it” !!
    i was asked how I managed to attend the dentist and how did I get my haircut and highlighted!! 
    I thought those were bizarre questions but yours were out there.
    I do hope your advocate, the one you spent £300 on is now going to help you try and take this further.
    You probably just feel like you can’t do that all again, I did but maybe in a day or so, think and talk to family/friends or start a new discussion on here for help and advise.
    i say start a new discussion as it would reach more people.

Susan

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.