disability and exercise — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

disability and exercise

Options
deb74
deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
hi all. just wondered if anyone can suggest exercises to ease my arthritic joints.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @deb74 How are you.  I use Tai Chi it is a form of exercise practiced in Chinese culture.  It is slow movements of arms and legs.  Using motions that cause no pain.

I do every morning a Tai Chi work out simple arm stretching and legs.  Moving waist circular movements.  I was recommended to do this because I have muscle weakness in legs and arms.  Simple to do.

I would look at classes community centres or well being service in your area  .Online might be something that demonstrates. 

Also consider other options maybe yoga as well.

Please can I say before doing any exercise or physical  consult your Doctor.  Also have a look at diet as well.  I would consult a nutritionist.  I could give you advice connected to your condition but I do not know if I could be breaking any SCOPE rules.

Regarding your diet. 

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • deb74
    Options
    thanks. i am going to see my doctor soon about my arthritis i will talk to her and see what she thinks. not sure about classes where i live as i live in the middle of nowhere in wales but i will definatley look online and see what i can find
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi deb74, having had spinal decompression surgery I was sent for back classes exercises. After 6 weeks of excersises and no improvement in my mobility I was sent for 3 MRI scans and 3 mths later was diagnosed with MS, so I still do my back excersises based on palates it helps keeping me mobile but I can't do the full workout but do my best it all helps so do your best but not if it hurts or causes pain.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deb74
    Options
    thanks wilko. i had surgery on right shoulder last year so some exercises pull on my shoulder which still hasn't healed. but i will try it.
  • deb74
    Options
    hi victoriad. thanks. swimming is a good idea but due to poor co-ordination i have never been able to swim.

Brightness