Mandatory Reconsideration - Doing it by Phone vs. Using DWP's online form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory Reconsideration - Doing it by Phone vs. Using DWP's online form

Options
Fight4Justice
Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
I'm likely going to be going through at least a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) process, regarding my PIP Reassessment, based on my Assessor's Report which was riddled with horrific mistakes, and misrepresentations/lies.

The site Benefits & Work recommend to use DWP's online form. This is a recent news article B & W wrote about this here: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3731-dwp-produces-mandatory-reconsideration-form-they-don-t-want-you-to-use

Here's one relevant quote from that article:

"Benefits and Work would always advise claimants to make their MR request in writing, so that you can give precisely the information you wish and do not have to justify what you are saying to a potentially discouraging DWP staff member".

I'm thinking they're probably right, however, doing it by phone seems a lot more convenient. Also you don't have to go through the worry of not knowing, if your MR form reached them or not. You also get the opportunity to explain to a real life human being what is wrong about your PIP award. However, I see a lot of people use recorded delivery. But again it's still an inconvenience to go through that hassle when you can just do it by phone. But if by doing the MR via DWP's form, that increases my chances, and means I don't have to go through an appeal, then it's obviously worth going through that inconvenience. As the inconvenience of going through an appeal would be far greater of course.

Therefore I have a couple specific questions:

1. Has anyone done an MR over the phone and been successful?

2. Has anyone done an MR via DWP's form and been successful?

3. Has anyone done an MR via a written letter (not using DWP's MR form) and been successful?

Basically, I'm trying to work out which method will give me the best chances of being successful, and not having to go through another appeal.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

P.S. This is a link to DWP's MR form in case you haven't seen it before: 
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't, but if I were I would write it and post it. 
    If you are telling them you struggle to communicate, ringing and explaining it all would suggest you are fine. 
    Writing enables you to read it back and add if necessary. 
    It wouldn't be an inconvenience becayse the whole process of changing over is already that.

What were you awarded, what have you been awarded? What did you say or supply to say you were the same or worse.

If the person you talk to misunderstands, writes it incorrectly you will almost have a verbal non f2f.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @whistles

Thanks for the reply and I fully agree with your points. I'll definitely be writing my MR if it comes to that.

Also, I think it would be useful to have written evidence of what was sent. Which might be useful at a later Tribunal if worse comes to worse. Whereas the MR by phone with the DWP Case Manager probably won't be recorded. And it will be a he said, she said, kind of scenario at a Tribunal.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi
    i did mine over the phone, it took ages as difficulty talking. Was persuaded I didn’t need to send more evidence and told to get someone else to phone the next time.
    I would absolutely do it paperbase, as you say you can re read it.

A hard lesson learned by me.
    Susan
  • susan48
    Options
    Lillybelle,
    i would never do anything on the phone again.
    paperbase with help as you say, absolutely.
    that way also you can hopefully fill then in better with help, a bit peace of mind too
  • susan48
    Options
    I felt cheated actually, struggling to take to them and they said do you have more evidence, I asked do I need it will it help, she said no you don’t really have too.
    now I wish I had sent it in, maybe wouldn’t have had to go through the traumatic appeal

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.