planning a route — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

planning a route

charlene
charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
although the question states planning a route, what does that mean. Does it mean if you drive, then it would be a car journey.  If you are on foot, then it would be car, train or plane. What distance would that long journey cover?
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Comments

• charlene
    Also, what about food and drink?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @charlene, hello. I understand by planning a route means if you have a dog you take it for a walk you would know where you are going to be walking your dog and getting back home again as I do but using a mobility scooter. Do you know the way to the local shop or shopping Center, doctors hairdressers ect, it's not that you may drive there but you could or can or do direct your driver the correct way. As for food and drink can you eat and drink unaided or do you need a special cup beaker or cutlery to help or assist you at meal times.l hope that answers your questions.
  • charlene
    Hello Wilko, have never thought of it that way. To all of above I would answer yes.  A longer journey would be different as I have memory lapses and miss turn of etc.  Then things get worse with panic.  But food for thought.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    To be able to plan a route is just that, you do not have to make the journey. You could plan a route for someone else ie. from the nearest bus stop to your home

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • charlene
    Being a driver and living in the city all my life, I have a good idea where most places are.  The building where Atos has its office, The road it is in, I have driven down hundreds of times over the years.  Also I have a sat nav. The building Atos has to assess ESA, I worked there years ago, and my senior school is over the back.  Also my son's business premises are in the same complex as their building. 
  • charlene
    Lots of laughs I couldn't make sense of your reply re special cup then realised I had confused you with posting my question in 2 parts. I meant food and drink on journey:).  

A long trip would be one confined to the city I live in?

A few years ago I drove all over the country up and down motorways. It was nothing to do a 6 hour round trip. Obviously I have to somehow lessen my horizon:( but all this is helping as I am getting a better insight into what is being asked.
  • CockneyRebel
    PIP make no distinction regarding length of journey.

CR
  • charlene
    I wouldn't have a clue about buses or bus stop, haven't used a bus in over 40 years. I thought it wasn't just planning but you also have to carry it out personally.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • CockneyRebel
    11a  can plan and follow the route of any journey unaided  -- 0 points
    11c  cannot plan the route of a journey - 8 points

CR
  • charlene
    Lol that made me laugh, I have a very black sense of humour. 

Monday, as they say I am going into therapy, although a few minutes after the phone call I forgot the time!  I worked at the Health Center at one time, and held out to se a psychologist there.  I panic if I am offered places I don't know. 

On my assessment the assessor wrote that recently, I tried to commit suicide, but still ticked the box I could do the journeys.  

I am absolutely fine  at the moment, and have taken comments in the light hearted manner they were extended:)  but still have to say, I am beginning to be a little baffled with what the PIP want.
  • [Deleted User]
  • charlene
    CockneyRebel's surely that is a hypothetical question. As I have stated I have a good knowledge of my City, knew exactly where Atos was situated. In that situation I am fine. Asked to to go somewhere I don't know, been asked to attended appointments for different things, refused to go, fortunately been offered other venues.  Atos does not set a question stating where you are expected to go, and can u get there or make out a plan of the journey to get there.
  • CockneyRebel
    Playing devils advocate,
    Assessor "So you cannot plan a route to your front gate" ?

11c is so loose it can  be misinterpreted any way they want

As with all the descriptors you should take them very literally and use their language back to them. You have to make your claim fit the descriptor not the descriptor fit your claim. Descriptors are like the ten commandments, written in stone

CR
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Charlene,
    i understand exactly, I had a dog, take him for a walk, the same time, place every day. not far from my house.
    i can go to places I know but to go to say, a supermarket myself especially if it’s busy is a definite no, the last time I was i a supermarket, with a friend, I had a panic attack and people stared at me so now I do online shopping
  • susan48
    Hope that makes sense, 
  • CockneyRebel
    susan48 said:
    Charlene,
    i understand exactly, I had a dog, take him for a walk, the same time, place every day. not far from my house.
    i can go to places I know but to go to say, a supermarket myself especially if it’s busy is a definite no, the last time I was i a supermarket, with a friend, I had a panic attack and people stared at me so now I do online shopping
    This would not be the same as planning a journey, and does not fit well with any of the descriptors

CR

• susan48
    Ok CR,
    I was just saying and I beg to differ.
     Going out to places that are not in your usual life, going to strange places is relevant.
    As my appeal granted points for, mobility, I did not appeal getting 0 points for mobility but the awarded anyway.
    It is all very confusing and clearly open to interpretation. 
    I possibly didnt type what I actually thought.

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    If I didn't have Maggie to walk several times a day and meet other walkers for a chat and hello I would be bored, plus going out when dark or raining is no fun but got to be done. As for shopping not nice going in crowded shops with scooter to dangerous not fare on other shoppers but I do venture to local Co-Op to get milk staff helpful putting milk in bag and getting from cooler.

Brightness