planning a route - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

planning a route

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Wilko,
    I put I had a dog when I actually do!!
    the whole reason to get him was to get me out of my house, and a focus on life.
    the walks in the cold, rain etc are awful but that the purpose of having mine. Or I would not go out.
    hes so loving and knows when I’m not feeling so good, unconditionally love 
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Strange how some get the mobility award and some don't. Susan it certainly must be open to interpretation.  I honestly can't walk that far and will be house bond without a car and yet I was awarded nil points.  I don't want to think of my life if things go pear shape for me in a MR or Tribunal.  All I know is that it will be no life.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I have noticed here and on other forums that the planning and following journeys section is the most difficult section to come to terms with, it is not straight forward  ( no pun intended ) unlike moving around  ie. 1-20 metre yes or no

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • susan48
    It’s a lottery I think Charlene.
    I went from 9 point and 0 points to 19 points and 10 points.
    i only really had and issue with communication, the rest I was ok with but I scored 0 when I struggle or can’t communicate.
    that is the only reason I appealed.
    i hope things go ok at MR for you. 
    Just stay strong, and fight for what’s right
  • susan48
    Communicate verbally 
  • charlene
    I spoke the truth on that one to CockneyRebel's, but the assessor didn't believe me. Must come over as a shady character, a liar.
  • susan48
    Charlene,
    i think they think everyone is a liar but who would put themselves through this if they were not being honest!
    It’s too traumatic and stressful to do this if it wasn’t the truth.
  • CockneyRebel
    Unfortunately the burden of proof is always on us. and this is where the system fails.
    How can you prove that you can only walk X ?
    The assessors have their 12 commandments written in stone and our problem is to fit into their little boxes. All of us are different, we all have our coping mechanisms just to get through the day and unless we drop these when we are assessed the HCP doesn't see our real selves so comes to an incorrect conclusuion abot our abilities

CR
  • charlene
    i am seeing  a therapist for depression and anxiety  Monday,  after attending a while she might give me a letter covering my anxiety levels.

don't really like these sessions as things crop up and I normally get worse before getting better.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • charlene
    CockneyRebel's, I think I am beginning to know the way I am going to take on , tackle this journey question.  

At present I need to try and clear my mind somewhat, in readiness for my. appointment tomorrow. I except what you say on coping mechanisms. 
  • CockneyRebel
    I hope your appointment goes well

CR
  • charlene
    Thanks Cockney Rebel.  At least the snow has melted so I will be able to get out.
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Good evening all, very interesting discussion. 

I have probably made a big mistake as I put on my PIP review form at Q11, I can plan a journey from my bedroom to my bathroom and back but sometimes it doesn't always go as planed.  So technically I have admitted I can plan a simple journey!

A few years back I had a late appointment at a large hospital in a city I had not been to before, I meticulously planed every detail of the journey and because the hospital had several car parks and entrances I made sure I chose the nearest one to my appointment.  Got there no problem parked up went in, things were running very late and by the time I had been seen it was dark and when trying to leave the doors that I had entered had been locked, as were many others.

A security guy came up to me and asked what I was doing, (probably spotted on camera) told him I was lost and trying to find a way out, eventually after he drove me all over the place we found my car.  I was so traumatised when I left I ended up going the wrong way down a slip road to the motorway, thankfully I was able to do a u turn before killing anyone.

Perhaps being able to cope with unexpected things happening during a planed journey is something they should think about?

• sleepy1
    @charlene
    Good luck for tomorrow X
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    In my experience, which is not to say my assessor was right, planning and going on a journey or even not going but being able to go if you chose to was as simple as stepping outside my front door alone. To score the higher amount of 10 points I would have to never go out alone which I don't. However at my assessment in January 2017 I told my assessor I had walked less then 50 meters to the end of our close to be helped onto a private coach which took me along with other elderly people a 3 minute journey to our village hall where I spent 2 hrs with people I knew then traveled back the same way. I only went once as I didn't enjoy it. For declaring this I scored 0 points. My assessor did not explain this event in any other way other than I attended an over 60's club on my own every 2 weeks. To ensure they gave me 0 points my case worker changed what the assessor had told her that my hubby takes me to church 1 mile away by car to that I travel there alone even though I don't drive and there are no buses on a Sunday evening. I am telling you this as it's the worst case scenario. I was given 4 points at a 2nd MR for needing encouragement to go out based on a 46 year history of engagement with mental health services. 
  • sleepy1
    @wildlife
    God bless you for your attempts on trying to get to church and passing your driving test  ; )
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Huh! I always assumed that planning a journey involved looking up bus times, or using Google Maps to figure out how to get somewhere, etc. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I got enhanced for the journey question. 
    I can't plan it. Simple as that. 

We had snow yesterday. Something that innocent throws me completely. I couldn't plan how to go from a to b. So didn't.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I scored 0 because I can sometimes go somewhere familiar. We'll just ignore the fact that I can't do it safely because I cant judge the speed of traffic or hear where it comes from.

I got it looked at again and got 12 points. 

Brightness