PIP appeal on Wednesday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal on Wednesday

Options
issiem58
issiem58 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
I have my PIP appeal on Wednesday. 
I am quite well prepared, but any advice from anyone who has been through one, would be very much appreciated. 

The DWP submission had no case studies, no legislation and was very scant.  I sent in a submission that applied all of the legislation and quoted case studies.  So hopefully I have sent enough.

Many thanks in advance.

Izzie

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Izzie when i submitted papers for my pip appeal i quoted case studies it was not a good move as the judge told me that it was his job to make sure the law was applied to the hearing and he did not appreciate my views on case studies as he was aware if any case studies that applied to my case.
    Unfortunately i lost my appeal of which i am now appealing i am not saying that was the reason i lost but it got me off on the wrong foot with the judge. 
    Good luck anyway
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
  • issiem58
    Options
    Thank you!!

I am quite confident, the Child Poverty Action Group helped with my submission.
    I used the reliability and 50% rule.  The DWP and HCP didn't.  I have been told  it looks good.  We will have to see!  Will just be glad to get it over with.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @issiem58

Last May I won my tribunal appeal.

The panel don't want to hear about PIP legislation; they should already know what it is.  They are only interested in what you can and can't do.

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling.  Tribunal hearings are supposed to be inquisitorial.  Panel might asked challenging questions. 

Don't argue with the judge.

Panel based most of their questions on the 7 day diary I submitted.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  Always relate time to distance as saying you can walk for X seconds or minutes might be interpreted as meaning you can walk farther than in fact you are able to.  Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

Doc asked how far from my front door was my car parked.

Disability person asked about the aids I use.

Judge and disability person asked if I use a disabled toilet when out.

The judge and doctor both seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of daily needs disability (strength, stamina).  I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  

Don't drive yourself to the hearing; take a taxi if necessary.

Don't dress up, wear clothes with few fastenings, minimal jewellery and, if you are female, minimal make-up.

Good luck on Wednesday!

• duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    Options
    some good advice there also don't wear shoes you do up with lases they may ask how you get them on off think about your answers, just answer and don't talk to much on one subject. good luck.
  • issiem58
    Options
    Thank you Matilda!
  • issiem58
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has offered advice to me re Wednesday's appeal.  In the end I can only be truthful and tell it like it is.  When I started this from the application to where I am today, I just tell myself that I will take it as far as I can, expect the worst but hope for the best.  I am not going to stress unecessarily about it.  If I don't win my appeal, I can always apply again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.