Capita health assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita health assessment

Options
rrussell
rrussell Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,i have only recently had a health assessment carried out by Capita on behalf of the d.w.p after i had informed them that my condition was not improving @ ischemic heart disease/artery disease/peripheral artery disease..i'm not sure if they may all be the same , osteoarthritis to my ankles,knees,wrists and fingers as well as severe depression and anxiety,as it says in the information that was provided at the time failing to update any change in my health better or worse,i could be prosecuted.

i had never claimed benefits before until 2015 when i had to give up work due to my health,i was awarded e.s.a in support group and p.i.p enhanced daily living 13 points and standard mobility 8 points until 2021.

after my assessment,the decision maker took ALL points from me,awarding me zero for all descriptors ? i recieved a copy of the assessors report and i am horrified, the assessor stated i drive a manual car with no adaptions to it ?? . I don't own a car !! i had to scrap my car when i stopped work as i couldn't afford the repairs to it.
she also states that i have a modified bathroom with a walk-in shower ? no i don't,i have a step up shower rising to about 12" from the floor.

She also stated that i carried out various physical tasks and that she found no problems with my ankles or wrists. she did no such thing,and that's only the tip of the iceberg,the whole report is made up and full of lies,and i don't know what to do. i feel sick to be treated in this manner.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @rrussell and welcome to the community. I am glad you have found us and very, very sorry to read of your experience. I only wish we received such reports less often.
    I am not qualified to advise you on this, but we have people here who are and who will be in touch with you in due course. I have notified them of your post, so please bear with us and keep in touch.
    Whilst not every assessment story is a horror story such as yours - we tend not to get to hear about the fair ones - there are far, far too many like your own. At least we have a lot of experience to draw on.
    Stay with us.
    Here and listening
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi rrussell and welcome

First, when you have calmed down, if you have a copy of the assessment report you need to ask for a mandatory reconsideration.
    You should concentrate on showing that you meet the criteria of the descriptors.

You should then, as a separate issue, make a complaint about the assessor to Capita  

If you haven't done so have a look at the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • rrussell
    Options
    Hi everyone,thank you for your replies,i have asked for a mandatory reconsideration and i'm waiting to hear back from the d.w.p,i have this awful feeling that the person who typed out my assessment result wasn't the nurse who interviewed me,there are so many inconsistencies with the results that i feel as if i have been mugged,i never realised at the time and i was unaware that capita never even bothered to access my medical records although i gave written permission to do so.

In the meantime i'm staying relaxed. :)
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @rrussell

I'm with CR on this one - a two pronged approach would be best.

Certainly the MR (followed by appeal if they don't sort it out) - really glad to hear you have this in hand, and also, if you can stomach it, a complaint to capita, copying in the DWP as a follow up to the MR (and if the case is already with the Tribunals Service by the time you send the complaint, a copy to them also).

I've seen a lot of shoddy medical reports in my time, but this sounds like quite a bad one - perhaps some failures in the cutting and pasting department!

Glad the red mist has lifted for now, stay in touch - let us know how you get on!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• rrussell
    Options
    Thanks Mary, i will keep everyone updated.
  • rrussell
    Options
    Hi fellow members,i've made a mistake regarding the name of the assessment people who carried out my assessment,having just came off the phone to the D.W.P to double check the companies name,it was actualy atos and not capita.
    May i offer my sincere apologies for this error.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem and no need to apologise
    Just make your complaint to atos instead :)

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • rrussell
    Options
    Yes,i have sent the e-mail to their customer services dept and i will print some copies of it also. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.