How to find the right job for me? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to find the right job for me?

Options
Ashcotts2407
Ashcotts2407 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
edited March 2018 in Work and employment
Hi my name's Ashley I am 22 and cerebral palsy the  right sided hemiplegia I have been fortunate to work since finishing college and have 3 jobs within 18 months from 2014 - 2017 but I have had several employers not understand the condition and i slso have hydrocephalus which is the hidden learning disability  I have had since having the bleed in the brain when  was born and I am umemployed again as my customer service job hasn't worked out any suggestions on how to find the right job and right employer? 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Ashcotts2407 and a warm welcome to the community. Sorry we could not get back to you sooner.
    I'm not an expert in this field but I think you will find this link useful, along with other links embedded in the page it takes you to https://www.scope.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns/employment/work-with-me/information-tips
    Perhaps you could have a look at it and let me know how you get on?
    In the meantime, others will no doubt be along to chat with you and offer advice, and you should not hesitate to tell us anything more or ask us any questions that might help us identify ways we can support you.
    Very glad to have you with us,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Ashcotts2407

Hope you are well.
    welcome to the online Community! and many thanks for your question.

Great to hear that you have been in constant employment since leaving college, however its unfortunate that the customer service did not work out for you. what sort of working are you looking to get into?

If you would like some support, Scope offer a Support to Work service which provides tailored support & advice to disabled people who are looking for work. If eligible for the service, you will be assigned to an employment adviser, who over a course of 12 weeks will work with you around disclosing your disability to employers and requesting reasonable adjustments to allow you to do your job to the best of your ability, your employability and transferable skills, CV's and preparing for interviews and any other employment related issues you might have. 
    If you would like to find out more about the service or register, you can do so HERE 
    Hope that helps & we look forward to hearing from you!

Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Does Support to Work have anything to do with the DWP?
  • Mwila_Scope
    Mwila_Scope Scope Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Options
    @Waylay
    no the Support to work service is a free service provided by Scope and has nothing to do with the DWP
    Mwila
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Options
     hi ashcotts2407 i also have hydrocephalus. i know how you feel it is very frustrating not being able to do things other peope find easy. i have walked from lots of jobs in the past because of it. the condition makes you look stupid and no-one understands. i am on jsa and have just been reffered to remploy by my job coach. i am hoping they will be able to help me find a suitable job. try talking to your work coach and see what they say. good luck!
  • Ashcotts2407
    Ashcotts2407 Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Options
    @deb74 How's your job search going? I hope you are well 

Brightness