Atos wants to do a re-assessment tomorrow! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Atos wants to do a re-assessment tomorrow!

Peterwalker0212
Peterwalker0212 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is Peter I was getting pip at the enhanced rate had an assessment and got put on lower rate I have many things wrong with me I got a phone call yesterday from atos 19/3/18 and they want to come to my home tomorrow 21/3/18 to re asses me what should I do?????

Comments

• Peterwalker0212
    Hi again the conditions I have are peripheral naturopathy chemo related cerebellar disease depression copd android I've just been told my cancer has come back so I got reassessed in December 2017 and I got  a call from atos yesterday 19/3/18 and they want to visit me at home tomorrow 21/3/18 for another assessment it this because I've been told them the cancer has come back I'm now on lower pip £22 a week they took my mobilety car off me in January so now I am housebound I'm due surgery in April folowd my more chemo I'm sick to the back teeth with DWP Ang ATOS I've put in an appeal against the decision in December android now await a court date is this why that want to visit me at home. Please can someone help me ????? Thank you xc

• louise91
    louise91 Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Have you asked why they want to see you again? How do you feel about it? Do you think that it could help them see and understand how unwell you are? 
  • Peterwalker0212
    Hi Louise thank you for your intrest yes I'm taking them to appeal plus I've been rediagnosed with secondary cancer in January yes I'm want them to see how sick I really am 
  • butterflies
    butterflies Community member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Hi Peter

I am really sorry you are going through this...

Ring them and rearrange the appointment....you are allowed to do this only once...they can do it as many times as they like!  

ATOS cannot force you to have an assessment without 7days notice and in writing...I think I am correct in this!

Do you have anyone like a Macmillan Nurse who you can speak to or Welfare Rights Officer ? who could help you.

I had to rearrange mine because I had a stomach bug at the time the letter arrived 2days before assessment date so I range them and told them I was sick and needed to rearrange...I was told by them I could only rearrange once.  

So then it was arranged on the phone with them for 2weeks time and they did send another letter.  But at least it gave me more breathing space rather than be bullied by their tactics of intimidation.

When Life Gives You Lemons Make Lemonade
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    @Peterwalker0212 If I were you I would go ahead if you can. But make sure it doesn't make you more ill according to whether you can get through it relatively no worse than you are. My reasons are looking at the whole picture, it gives you more options as no change in your points after another assessment still leaves you with the tribunal therefore you're increasing your chances of getting what you are entitled to. Going ahead with a good outcome of having your points increased would save you the stress of a long wait for a court date and you could then concentrate on your treatment. Any cancellations of appointments can go wrong especially at such short notice and you might end up with an assessor on the doorstep insisting you go ahead. This is only my opinion, you must do what is best for you and what would cause the least amount of stress.  
  • Peterwalker0212
    I' going to go ahead with it I really just want it over with I've got all the evidence I need I know that can tell lies they said I told them i  parked my car 50 meters from my house I have off road parking my car was 6foot from my front door also that I can wash and dress myself I don' android the list go's on
  • Peterwalker0212
    I' already taking them to tribunal over there first assessment in december2017 so I'm going to beat them every which way as I know I'm entitled to all the back pay as well
  • wildlife
    Hi Peter, Well if that happens you've always got the option of an MR which won't involve another assessment so as you say get it over with and continue to fight what is rightfully your entitlement. Good Luck, do let us know how it goes. 
  • Peterwalker0212
    Thanks for all the feedback I will keep you all informed. Pete
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    It is possible that someone has looked at your assessment and thought the award was low for your conditions. Perhpas you are being reassesseD to make sure you do get what your entitled too. If I worked there and looked at your form and saw your award at £22 I wouod ask for a reassessment too as that award is ridiculous and insulting. 
    One thing I will say is my friend was on the low rate of pip.  She got cancer and stayed on the low rate. After a few months she was diagnosed wih a secondary cancer. Her doctor gave her a letter stating this diagnosis. I sent the letter to pip for her. 
    She was instantly put on the high rate of everything, without an interview. 
    I'm not sure how that all works. I can only say what I know and what i personally experienced. But it might be worth getting a doctor letter confirming your new diagnosis. 
    I wish you well for  everything. The pip and your recovery.  You shouldn't have to be going through this and should be allowed (and enabled) to concentrate on your treatment wihout worrying about money.  

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    A new assessment will mean a new decision. Your first appeal, if successful, will be limited up to the date of the new decision. So if you are awarded enhanced by the tribunal and the new decision again only awards standard you will have to appeal again.

CR 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    @Peterwalker0212 I really it goes well for you tomorrow with ATOS.
  • wildlife
    @CockneyRebel I get what you're saying but the new decision is due to be done before any tribunal decision which would not include the new diagnosis as it would be how Peter was at the time of his previous claim therefore less likely to increase his award than if he has another assessment now that includes the new diagnosis. If this was someone with a stable condition that was unlikely to change and the review was triggered by the timescale of his original award and not by Peter telling the DWP about his new diagnosis then it might have been better to cancel this assessment and wait for the appeal, but it is not. Peter needs a decision sooner rather than later so he can concentrate on his treatment and a decision which includes his new diagnosis is more likely to give him the higher rate of PIP so that's why i advised him to go ahead with this assessment. Based on his new diagnosis and as @sandyp196 mentioned he has an excellent chance of increasing his award now. If I'm missing something please feel free to tell me, all I'm doing is trying to help Peter I don't mind who's advice he goes by so long as it's the best. 
  • Peterwalker0212
    Just to be clear I have Parkinson's disease cerebellar disease befor I had cancer the first time so was getting enhanced rate on both components but when in remission that dropped me to standard rate at £22 a week 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Peter and wildlife

I am in full agreement that you should complete the new assessment and still fight the appeal. The new decision will likely come through quicker and hopefully be the right one.

CR 
  • Peterwalker0212
    Ok everyone just had my home assessment for pip atos were here for almost 2hours very nice bloke he was very understanding about all my health issues and he spoke with what I thought was a really nice manner now I just have to wait for the outcome and pray it go' go's my way.i will keep you all informed. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck peter
  • Peterwalker0212
  • CockneyRebel
    I hope it goes well for you

CR
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope it's positive. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.