Proof of disability and help in the home — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Proof of disability and help in the home

Options
Sufferingisnot
Sufferingisnot Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I have a mental disability that doesn’t affect me in terms of getting around etc but it does affect my life significantly. For instance I might need to use the toilet ASAP if I’m having a panic attack, or I become frightened of crowds etc. How can I get registered as disabled but I don’t necessarily need a blue badge etc. I’m not good with people sometimes and can get overly emotional. It would be useful to have something to show them as you can’t see my disability. Has anyone else had a similar experience and is there any help I can get in the home? 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sufferingisnot, and welcome to the community! Great to have you here.

There is no 'disability register' as such, and many people wrongly believe that you need to register as disabled. However, I have an invisible illness myself and know how useful it can be to have 'evidence' of your condition.

One thing you may like to look into is a CredAbility Access Card: there is a small charge for these, but as well as providing certification of your additional needs, you are also entitled to savings and special offers. There are also similar schemes of this kind that you may like to look into. Another thing that you may find useful is the 'Please offer me a seat' scheme by TfL

With help in the home, would you like to explain a little more about what you need, so we can try to help? 

Brightness