Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Urgent help needed

Frosty104Frosty104 Member Posts: 4 Listener
i am in Esa support group and get enhanced Pip. My husband isn’t working and today applied for JSA. He included in the form that he lives with me, I’m disabled and claim ESA. It didn’t ask about Pip. He’s hustled received an automated appointment that says we both have to go for an interview. I can’t as I’m agrophobic and have mobility problems. I’m in an absolute panic because I don’t know what this has got to do with me and if it’ll have any effect on my money. If he stopped his application would I have any repercussions? Why I am involved when he made a claim for himself. Please please can someone explain to me what’s going on, what to do and what’s going to happen. I’ve got severe mental health problems and anything to do with DWP terrifies me. Please please help


  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi Frosty104 
    Has your husband looked into claiming carers allowance instead of JSA.This would mean if he looks after you for more than 35 hours a week he would be entitled to something also he would not have to attend the jobcentre for interviews it could be done over the telephone as does my mothers carer.
    It May be worth speaking to your local CAB to see if this would be a better option for you.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    Hi @frosty104, thanks for sharing this with us.

    I'm so sorry to hear about this and especially that you're feeling worried: the benefits process can be really difficult, but we have some lovely and experienced community members who will hopefully be able to help. In the meantime, you may find the online benefits calculator useful in working out what you may be able to claim, depending on your circumstances.

    If you feel that face to face advice would be more appropriate, you may like to consider contacting Citizens Advice. You can find your local CAB by searching on their website. You mentioned that you were agoraphobic, but perhaps this is something your husband would consider doing? 
Sign in or join us to comment.