ESA and Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and Severe disability premium

kimbenson21
kimbenson21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Could someone give me some advice please. My husband claims ESA income related for both of us. He was awarded PIP enhanced on both in 2015, I was awarded PIP enhanced on both in 2016. My husband received a letter from DWP ESA a couple of months ago explaining that he will now be entitled to SDP (I hope thats right) should my husband have received this once he was awarded PIP and if so why did they leave it so long. Thank you.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I wonder if @Username_removed can help with this? 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If ESA IR was in force at the time then he should have received SDP from the date he was awarded PIP. As you are part of the claim you are also entiled to SDP

Do you claim carers Premium for each other ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Colourfull
    Colourfull Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi to All,

What is S.P.D.

Colourfull.
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Hi @Colourfull SPD is servere disability premium
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    edited March 2018
    @kimbenson21 Please read the GUARDIAN NEWS maybe it's that they owe thousands of brits the severe disabled premium.
  • kimbenson21
    Hi CR
    Thank you for your help. We don't claim carers premium as I don't know anything about it also I have heard that if you make a new claim then you have to go onto universal credit, so I don't want to rock the boat. We didn't get the SDP until this year, so approx 2 years later. But I am very grateful for the extra money as it certainly has helped.
    Once again thank you for your help.
  • kimbenson21
    Hi mikehughescq, 
    Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I'm totall lost with all of this. I thought that even if you asked them to look into this, they would then put you in to universal credit, I know we all have to eventualy but our area isn't due to go over until next year, I also heard that you could lose some of the money you receive now, is this true?
    Once again thank you for your help.
  • kimbenson21
    Hi pee14, I have looked at the guardian, it says it's for the people that went from income support to esa and only until 2014. We were on esa before we were awarded PIP enhanced, my husband in 2015 and myself 2016 but have only just received the premium. It's Just too confusing.
    Thank you for your help.
  • pee14
    Yes I agree too confusing for me too
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi

I would suggest that you get f2f advice from CAB, welfare rights or similar
    You could be entiled to a significant amount of money due

CR

• pee14
    @Username_removed just a question so if someone who claims carers allowance who is on income support , the person they care for loose their  severe premium on esa
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    It's only being back dated until October 2014 when the court ruled.

Just found a sentence that says " income related amount" my guess is that makes me IR. Who knows.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • pee14
    I live on my own @Username_removed my daughter claims carers for me already and I get a bedroom tax paid because she stays with me for 4 nights of the week and I stay at hers 3 nights because I cannot be on my own . I just wondered if it was right that that's the reason the premium is taken away . And also why I'm on the subject of bedroom tax I have another bedroom I pay tax on but my daughter has a 2 yr old girl and a 14 year old boy who needs to stay too , so he uses the extra bedroom do I still need to pay for that bedroom because my Grandson has no other choice to stay because my daughter stays with me .I don't mind paying it but because he has to stay at my house the bedroom is getting used ...Thankyou for your help 
  • kimbenson21
    That' What I'm saying @mikehughescq, I don' want to rock the boat by asking them to look at my husband's claim with regard to sdp. They will put people on uc in May if it's a new claim, but everyone else will go on to uc next year.
  • CockneyRebel
    pee14 said:
    @Username_removed just a question so if someone who claims carers allowance who is on income support , the person they care for loose their  severe premium on esa
    yes that is the way it works

CR
  • CockneyRebel
    That' What I'm saying @mikehughescq, I don' want to rock the boat by asking them to look at my husband's claim with regard to sdp. They will put people on uc in May if it's a new claim, but everyone else will go on to uc next year.
    That is why you must do it now, you are not rocking the boat you and your husband are entitled to the money.
    Please get help from CAB

CR
  • pee14
    edited March 2018
    pee14 said:
    I live on my own @Username_removed my daughter claims carers for me already and I get a bedroom tax paid because she stays with me for 4 nights of the week and I stay at hers 3 nights because I cannot be on my own . I just wondered if it was right that that's the reason the premium is taken away . And also why I'm on the subject of bedroom tax I have another bedroom I pay tax on but my daughter has a 2 yr old girl and a 14 year old boy who needs to stay too , so he uses the extra bedroom do I still need to pay for that bedroom because my Grandson has no other choice to stay because my daughter stays with me .I don't mind paying it but because he has to stay at my house the bedroom is getting used ...Thankyou for your help 
    @CockneyRebel or any adviser can anybody advise me on this please I'm just concerned if I ring them they might tell me to down size which I don't want to I live in a nice area with lovely neighbours and my grandson will have to share a room with his mum and sister .Thankyou.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi pee14, 

Yes, as your daughter claims CA for looking after you, you do not get the Severe Disability Premium. They are almost the same amount and paid for the same purpose - either the carer gets it or the disabled person gets it.
    With regards to the spare bedroom, you can only have a bedroom included for your grandson if he lives with you, and doesn't have another main address. 
    Your best bet is to apply for a DHP from your Local Authority. A DHO is a discretionary housing payment, which means that the LA will cover a shortfall in your rent if you can't afford it. They assess your affordability by asking you to complete a form and comparing your income and expenditure. In the LA where I live and work (Sandwell - inbetween Wolverhampton and Birmingham), anyone that gets PIP and applies for a DHP to cover the bedroom tax will automatically be awarded one, but that's not to say it's the same everywhere else. You might want to follow that up with your own LA's Housing Benefit department.

Thanks,
    Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.