Backdated ESA Premium Difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Backdated ESA Premium Difficulties

katyxx1977
katyxx1977 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi There
I received a letter a few weeks ago to tell me that I am entitled to Carer's Allowance but as I am on ESA with my own health difficulties, this is classed as an underlying entitlement and I will receive the carer's premium.  I have been on the phone constantly since last Monday, and i still cannot seem to get anyone to sort this out for me.  I have been promised at least 6 callbacks now and have only received one, who gave me wtong information and sent me back to Carer's Allowance.  The front line staff have tried to pass ke through to the benefits centre, but they refuse to speak to me.  I am now at the end of my tether.  Can anyone please offer me ant advice?
Many Thanks
Catherine

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi katy and welcome

You need to contact the carers unit

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance-unit

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • katyxx1977
    I have.  They sent me back to ESA. 
  • CockneyRebel
    If possible take the letter to CAB who should be able to sort it for you

• katyxx1977
    I might have to.  Its so difficult.  Thanks for your help
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not an underlying entitlement that you'll receive because you'll be paid both Carers Allowance and the Carers premium. What they actually do is take the CA from your ESA and add the premium. CA will then pay you the CA either weekly, 4 weekly or 12 weekly which ever you decided when you first claimed.

It can take 8-12 weeks for payments to start. CA have to send ESA a form to fill in and return. This is to see how much CA will owe ESA for the "overpayment" Once this has been received back to Carers Allowance you will then receive back dated money, this will be the Carers premium that is owed to you from the date you put on the form when you first applied. In the letter ESA send you it will seem like to you that you're worse off but you won't be, You will be £34.95 per week better off.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I don't understand the difference between carer allowance and carers premium. Does anyone have a link so I can look it up? 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I thought they were making the system simpler for everyone!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • CockneyRebel
    sandyp196 said:
    I don't understand the difference between carer allowance and carers premium. Does anyone have a link so I can look it up? 
    here is CAB link

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/carers-allowance/

• katyxx1977
    Carers are telling me ESA pay the premium.  ESA telling me carers pay it.  Been going round i  circles sent from one to the other.  Feel like giving up 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Carers are telling me ESA pay the premium.  ESA telling me carers pay it.  Been going round i  circles sent from one to the other.  Feel like giving up 
    ESA pay the premium and Carers Allowance pay the Carers. As i said in my post above the CA is taken off the ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • katyxx1977
    Well just an update on my case.  I ended up having to go to my MP as ESA would not raise a complaint for me.  I finally got my carer's premium 2 days ago.  Fighting since January.  At least it is sorted now.  However no one taking responsibility.  Carer's blaming ESA and ESA blaming carers so of course no one is at fault.  Just glad it is sorted, for now.
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    What s surprise. The DWP never know the answer to any questions. Useless.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.