Getting around in London — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting around in London

Options
nannyscooter
nannyscooter Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, I'm a partially disabled woman who is unable to use most public transport. When I go out in my locality I use my mobility scooter. I long to do things like go shopping in Oxford street or visit Westminster Abbey.  It's so frustrating. I maybe able to use a train but the tube , no way. Does anyone know anything about maybe someone who can help you get around when you're out for the day. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    Have you tried a Personal assistant. The day centre I worked in had PAs to take people out into the community. I only joined scope a coupe of months ago but someone on here is bound to know and help you. Hope you get to do the things you want to do
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Hmmmmm... So, you don't live in London... So you'd like to get into London... And then be able to get around London?

Can you get scooters onto train? 

What would be your dream trip? Could start from there and see what you'd need to do it? 

My first thought was you could hire an electric wheelchair? I use one instead of a scooter and it's great. I whizz to train station.... Sit in my own chair on train... Have help getting on and off... Whizz round places. We went to London last year and black cabs were great with wheelchair. 

What about getting the train then using scooter to get around? How would that be? 

Am also following this as we have a London trip coming up.... 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Assistance

On London Underground and, since spring 2014, on London Overground, TfL staff can assist you to platforms and on to trains. This is a 'turn up and go' assistance service for mobility- and sight-impaired passengers - staff will provide assistance without the need to book in advance. If you need someone to help you get off at the other end, staff can call ahead to arrange this.

All trains have priority seating next to the doors, and voice announcements, with drivers announcing any disruptions. Tactile warning surfaces are being installed as platforms are refurbished.

TfL travel mentoring scheme

This gives free advice on journey planning. It can provide a mentor to accompany you on your first few journeys. For more information or to sign up, contact:

TFL Travel Mentoring Service
    Tel: 

020 3054 4361

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness