Getting shower fitted and help with other needs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting shower fitted and help with other needs

Tee557
Tee557 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I look after my brother who has brain damage .Just wondering if he  is able to get sum kind of help with is needs .like for him to get a shower fitted and still keep our bath .Would be most greatfull if you could look into this please      thanking you                                            
                      Teresa Davies (Carer)

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Teresa, @Tee557 and a very warm welcome to you. Just managed to catch this post before going to bed :smile:
    I don't have the answers you need, but we do have people here who are better qualified to advise you. Bear with us and they will get back to you as soon as possible.
    Lovely to meet you, Teresa,
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    Hi @Tee557, welcome to the community!

Have you had a look at getting a disabled facilities grant? This might help with making necessary adjustments.

I hope this helps  :)
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @Tee557

Welcome to the community!

The first step is to arrange for a Community Occupational Therapist (OT) to come to your home to assess the facilities and your brother's needs.

If they agree that he is unable to use the existing bath, even with the addition of equipment, then having a shower fitted under the Disabled Facilities Grant Scheme (DFG) might be possible.

DFG's are means tested for adults, any adaptations need to be done by the most cost effective method. So if it is cheaper to replace the bath with a shower, rather than install a bath in addition to the shower, that is likely to be what is suggested. You could challenge this if there is a justification for why other members of the household must have a bath rather than a shower. 

You can seek a referral to the Community OT by contacting your local authority.

Hope this helps, please post again if you need further clarification.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Jurph
    Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    May I butt in and ask if the disabled facilities grant is only available to tennants? And whose income does it take into account?

I live with my parents who work full time. I suppose it takes their income?
  • Jean_OT

Hi @Jurph

In response to your questions:

DFG's are potentially available to renters and those that own their property. People that rent do have to gain the permission of their landlord to adapt the property so that can sometimes be problematic.

DFG's are not means-tested for children. For adults they look at the income of the disabled person. If the disabled person is living with a partner they are financially assessed as a couple.

More details can be found on the Scope website: 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/disabled-facilities-grant

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Jurph
    Ah, so as my parents are the tennants, they have to apply for it? Even though it's me that needs the help?
  • Jean_OT

Hi @Jurph

No -  if you are a disabled adult living with your parents (regardless of if they are tenants or owners) - you would be the DFG applicant and the means-testing would be based on your income. The Community OT that has advised that the adaptation is necessary should be able to assist with making the grant application.

Hope this helps

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

• Jurph
    Ah I see, thanks. The OT implied it was household income. She also said she'd get in touch with the welfare which is yet to happen. Thanks for your help.

Brightness