pip review coming up in June - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum

pip review coming up in June

2»

Comments

• shazier
    shazier Member Posts: 82 Courageous
    I have just looked up the cassette players where do you get the cassettes from? ad i wonder if you can buy a double cassette player still
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,795 Disability Gamechanger
    Deb57 said:
    Hi, I would also have  a look  at the Benefits and work website, there are lots of guides on there. Just write everything on your  very worst day. As you have described on here. You  and  your  daughter are both entitled to have  a care needs  assessment  done by  Social services. You can request  a home assessment for PIP. Have you also claimed  ESA. And the best advice I would give is to record your assessment!! So, many lies are told on their reports!  A cassette recorder can be bought  from Argos for £25. You must have 2. so you can  have 1 tape each afterwards. 
    I have posted elsewhere that “Just write everything on your very worst day.” is not just wrong advice, it is potentially fraudulent and there have been 2 successful fraud prosecutions in recent years. It’s the single worst piece of advice you could be given. Apologies for the bluntness but it’s not an area to pull any punches on at all. 

If your condition varies and fhe consequences vary then that is what you should say. Neither DWP nor assessment providers are as stupid as people think they are. If you write your worst day as though you’re like that all the then not only are they sufficiently savvy on medical conditions to see that but you are also misrepresenting and that is potentially very serious. Variation actually helps you qualify for PIP as it makes a stronger case for not being able to do things reliably, safely or to a reasonable standard. 
  • Deb57
    Deb57 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Thank you for  the clarification on that  Mike....  You may be able to get a double one, second hand. But, you may run the risk of it not working on the day.  Blank, new, tapes you can get from Ebay. Oh and  you must tell them, in writing before hand that you will be recording it.
  • shazier
    I fillled my form in as honestly as i could, i have two types of arthritis osteo and fibro that cause  me pain, im not affected by all of them all at once every day 24/7 mornings and early evening are the worst time for me although, i always have some degree of pain throughout the day. colder days are worse than warmer days to thats why i always have my heating on, i always have oor grip strengh and worse in my left from being eletricuted some yrs ago, i was told that i would never be able to use my fingers again and they wanted to amutate three of them, for cosmetic reasons i want to see how i manage, doctors advise that i would be in that much pain with them i would be begging them to remove them, they we so wrong, after months of physio, i got some of my grip back not great but enough to get by and the pain eased. sorry ive gone of the subject, im terrible for doing that
  • Deb57
    Oh and  I would ask the assessor what their qualifications are. And if they know  anything about  your particular illness's.. I, know people, who's assessor was a Physiotherapist
  • mikehughescq
    I think by and large people miss the point re: assessments. The approach seems to be that if you record it; if you can prove the assessor wasn’t qualified to comment on your disability, that this will somehow give you a better shot at getting an award on first claim. The reality is as ever that discrediting the HCP report lowers its weight as evidence once you’re at the appeal stage but you’re kicking at an open door and in itself it won’t hekp you qualify for PIP if the rest of your evidence and indeed the answers you give on the day are not good enough to replace the HCP report as credible evidence. Most people to assume they will be but it’s often simply not the case. 

Rather than concentrating on the assessor people would be better sharpening up their own answers to significantly reduce the possibility of them being spun as they largely are at present.
  • Deb57
    I, can't tell you how many people I know where the assessor has told blatant lies on their reports. If it had been recorded they couldn't have got away with that. Making it so much more difficult for the claimant at MR and appeal stage. To prove, otherwise. 
  • shazier
    Im confused, so is it better not to record the medical? . i have read allot of bad reports about the assessors lieing and this happend to my friends brother about 7/8 weeks ago. he lost his care component by 1 point and got  enhanced rate of mobilty, the assers said he could put his trousers on which he can once  there up to his knees, but, he cant put his callapers on that he needs to walk with., his mum puts these on before his puts his trousers on and then helps to put his feet in his trousers and assist by getting by  them up to his kness. nill points for that, they told the physio all this but she didnt write it down? he just said his legs get sore frrom wearing the callipers but could crawl very well without them, 
  • mikehughescq
    Deb57 said:
    I, can't tell you how many people I know where the assessor has told blatant lies on their reports. If it had been recorded they couldn't have got away with that. Making it so much more difficult for the claimant at MR and appeal stage. To prove, otherwise. 
    Unfortunately many people now record their assessments, legally or otherwise. You will see plenty of posts on here about how outraged they are when they still didn’t get PIP and yet that shouldn’t come as a surprise. The HCP provides one piece of evidence which is easily discredited with or without a recording. However, if you don’t have good anecdotal evidence then your claim will fail anyway. A HCP report can be completely wrong but that by itself has yet to get anyone a PIP `award.

Even the one case reported of the person who was allowed to use their illegal recording at their appeal. There is literally no evidence that that one thing is what got them PIP. It’s just their assertion/assumption that it did.

You can show a report is factually incorrect but those aren’t the grounds on which you’ll ever get a PIP  award. Pre assessment people need to really think what their actual evidence is and what they’re going to say.
  • shazier
    I have to be honest, i did record my home pip medical, it wasn't for the fact i thought the assessor wouldn't put down correctly what i had said, it was for me to listen back to.
      at the time i didn't know that some of them tell lies and didn't always put down what was being said to them..
    At my assessment, i was struggling with my depression, extremely anxious because i had to explain to a complete stranger which i have terrible problems with, i was also getting very agitated and was in allot f pain
    . i also  had a bad flare of fibro. i had to keep asking her to repeat the question. I just couldn't concentrate and my mind just kept going blank.when she asked about the symptoms of each condition, i had to repeat a lot of  the same symptoms for all the condition, she was very helpful and was very understaning, she seemed to be quite knowledgable to.
    i was asked to remember i think it was 3 or 4 objects i could only remember the last object, when she asked me a few mins later i couldn't remember any, i do remember i kept apologising for not being able to concentrate and explained i was feeling very nervous extremy anxious depressed and  my fibro was really bad. she was very kind and told me to take my time
    .she asked me to spell world backwards, i couldnt even spell it never mind spell it backwards.
    A few days later i listened to the recording, i felt quite embarrsed and thought good grief how did i get through that assessment. she was here almost tow hrs.
      i also had my daugter here who was also explaining things like managing my medication, what i was like with peole i didnt know and how anxious that made me and alo what i was like if i had to go out.and how rare that was.
    Im dreading the though  having to go through all that again and if i had to go to tribunerla, i know i wouldnt attend no matter what

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.