Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Contribution-based ESA

I am in Northern Ireland and my partner wishes to claim contribution based ESA. I work too much so she cannot claim income related. Well anyway, she has been self employed on and off for the last 4 years. She has paid one year of national insurance contributions. My question is, do the two years of contribtuions that are required to apply have to be the most recent two tax years? She was able to pay NIC's for 2015/16, but was not fully self employed for 2016/17 so wasnt able to pay that year. If she pays NIC's for 2017/2018 would that be enough?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Yes to be able to claim CB benefits you must have paid enough national insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years. Paying for 2017/18 wouldn't help.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • ginge1003ginge1003 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    That makes it very difficult for her, she would then have to wait until 2018/19 until she could claim ESA. Very frustrating.
Sign in or join us to comment.