Pip stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip stopped

joey59
joey59 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I have had 2 assesments in the last 6 months. The reason for this is i had a slight change on the care component side thus the new assessment. Before my last assesment i was getting standaed care and enhanced mobility. I got results of my assesment on monday and they have stopped my pip completely. This has really put my depression at a low. I was getting my award for a stroke i had 2 years ago and have mobility problems since that. I dont think the accessor did me any favours as said i could walk up to 200 mtrs where i can only walk about 20mtrs agter which i need to rest. And also was a few things never mentioned. My condition has not improved in 6 months so how can they justify this. I have asked for reconsideration and have spoken to cab and will see my Dr next week.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear this @joey59, you must be so disappointed. You've done the right thing by beginning the MR process right away and seeking advice. You may like to check out Scope's advice on appealing DWP decisions too. If we can be of any assistance, please do let us know.
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering

Hi Joey, there are many on here fighting for their benefits, you are not alone. Seeing my doctor Thursday evening for the same reason as you.  Take care of your self and fight back:)

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi joey and welcome

Unfortunately we see similar stories on the forums far too often

If you can you should get help from CAB or any charity that supports your condition

If you haven't done so you should ask for a copy of the assessment report asap. You will need this to identify the areas that you need to challenge

For now you need to concetrate on showing that you meet the descriptors for an award.

Although it is important to address any issues with the assessment report or HCP, this should be done as a separate complaint to the assesment provider. It can be beneficial to mention that you are making a formal complaint

Most HCP' and DM's don't take into account the reliability factors and make their decisions on a snap shot of your life, how you were at the time.

To complete any of the descriptors you need to do so Safely, Repeatedly, In a timely manner and to an acceptable standard.

For example : If you can walk 20 - 50 metres but you can't repeat it straight away and you need to rest for some time before you can do so again then you cannot be said to complete that descriptor. Or if it takes you twice as long as an able bodied person you cannot complete the descriptor
    Dressing and undressing : If your medication takes some hours to work in the morning and you cannot dress without assisstance because of this then this needs to be taken into account

Go through each descriptor one at a time and see how these factors may apply
    You should look at each activity and break it down into sections and apply the reliability factors to each section

For example Preparing food

Can you do so ?  ( safely, realiably, to an acceptable standard and in a timely manner )
    If not, why not ?
    What is it about your condition that stops you doing so ?
    Can you do so if you have help or and aid ?
    What happens if you don't have help or an aid 

Do this for each descriptor for your MR

There is a template that you can used for the MR

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF

and some additional information

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683381/how-to-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF

You have a month from the date on your decision letter to request an MR. You can do this by letter or phone. Be very aware of this date, do not miss the deadline. If you are waiting for further evidence, then you can ask that the decision is not made until you have submitted this. They may or may not do so.

If you haven't asked for the report until now, it is unlikely to arrive before this date so make it clear that you will be sending further evidence and that they should wait before carrying out the MR until it is received.

If you can get further relevant evidence you  should submit this but it is not essential. Often, it is not your evidence that is the problem but the way it is read ( or not )

MR's can often take 8 weeks or more but may also be done very quickly and before your new evidence is received. If this happens you can ask for the decision to be looked at again taking into account your new evidence.

MR's have a low rate of success at present but this stage has to be completed in order to advance to the appeal tribunal.

There is lots of good info on this site about appeals so please have a look around

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • joey59
    The strange thing is that on my assessment last year they down graded my mobility to standard as well. I did MR and was reinstated back to enhanced rate. So just shows how they trying to be little disabled people. Like to thank all for help on here as well.
  • joey59
    Been waiting 7 weeks now for mandatory reconsideration result so phoned dwp. Girl on phone told me they sent letter on 18th may saying they are not giving me anything. This is after me sending in letter from my doctor and cab. Can you advise me of how i take to appeals court please.
    Thanks Joe.
  • aaronw3440
    aaronw3440 Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    joey59 said:
    Been waiting 7 weeks now for mandatory reconsideration result so phoned dwp. Girl on phone told me they sent letter on 18th may saying they are not giving me anything. This is after me sending in letter from my doctor and cab. Can you advise me of how i take to appeals court please.
    Thanks Joe.
    This is the form you need to complete and send to the courts do not send it to pip as they no longer deal with it the court does https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/appeal-a-social-security-benefits-decision-form-sscs1

I'e also included a link on telling you how to send it and fill it in you'll also need to send a copy of the mandatory reconsideration letter along with all the evidence when you send your appeal form 
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Challenging-a-Personal-Independence-Payment-decisi/Appeal-to-Tribunal
  • joey59
    Thanks for that aaronw. Will have chat with cab as not very good with forms.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.