Distance ? Mobility - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Distance ? Mobility

Comments

• april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Even if I go to appeal will it still continue
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Until appeal hearing, then what you are paid after that would depend on tribunal's award.
  • april123
    Thank you @Matilda much appreciated.
  • april123
    Went to CAB this morning but he don't seem very sure about my mobility chances so not sure what to do still waiting for private doctors letter 
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    I’ve got myself in a right mess by saying I could walk for 5 mins not really having any idea how far I could walk in that time as I was so stressed out. I struggle to walk 20m and that’s with a crutch and my husbands arm. I kept saying I don’t know but she pushed and pushed until I said anything to shut her up. Got my assessors report this morning and her assumptions as to what I can do most days is so out it’s not true. Apparently anxiety isn’t included in the pip assessment but surely that’s a form of psychological stress. She’s said I go out alone when I don’t and can plan and follow a journey when I categorically said I couldn’t. I’m in such a state again with it all. Still waiting for MR decision. 
  • Matilda
    edited April 2018
    If you have to go to appeal remember 69% of appeals succeed.  Asking for how long someone can walk without relating it to distance is a favourite ploy so they can assume you can walk farther than you can.

At my PIP tribunal hearing I insisted on relating time to distance.  I was awarded enhanced mobility.

Always relate time to distance.
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    @Matilda, thank you so much for your reply. It’s just wrong that they seem to try and ‘trip you up’ with asking a question to which there isn’t really a definitive answer. Some days I can barely walk at all as the pain in my ankles, knees and back is so bad it makes me feel sick. Hope you enjoy your weekend 
  • ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    @Matilda can you explain some more on what you mean about relating time to distance. Thanks.

• april123
    It's such a mixture of emotions it's like being on an emotional merry go round.  Im dont know if I should just go for reliability in moving around now but then if I dont try I would never know ?  I have never aplied for daily living only had enhanced mobility. Some how have enchanted daily none of the ones I thought I should get and the lowest points of things I thought I don't need.  Standard mobility. Do try MR or just hand car back and prepare for 2 years time ? Anders on a post card.
    Thank you for letting me babble on.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    the general gauge used for walking time/distance

Fast walking                90 metres per minute
    Slow walking               45-60 metres per minute
    Very slow walking    < 45 metres per minute

So the assumption is that if you can walk for one minute, you can walk at least 45 metres, so do not qualify for enhance rate. The assumption is flawed in that you might only manage 15 metres in a minute, but they seldom explore this unless you bring it up.
    So relating walking distance to time

Yes I can walk 15 metres in a minute
    or
    I can walk for 1 minute but I need to rest in the middle but I can manage 20 metres
    or
    I can walk 40 metres in 2 minutes but I would need to rest for 5 minutes before I could do so again

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    @april123

Never just say you can, for example, walk for one minute without also saying what distance you can cover in one minute. If it takes you one minute to walk 20m, before you need to stop and rest, say so.
  • april123
    Been looking at the reliability in my walking and asked the man at my appointment, but he said that's in DLA so he has really confused me and I'm thinking have I a case or not ?.
  • Matilda
    Thank you, @Tigermoth42. Have a good weekend yourself.
  • Matilda
    @april123

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP including descriptors and reliability criteria.
  • april123
    Still trying to work it out all I know is they googled 60y it took me 10 mins and 2 stops. Then up puts 15m in 15 seconds took me later to get up and get my balance. 
  • april123
    Sorry about spelling it keeps changing it's like code
  • april123
    Was looking for CAB guidence didn't get it so 
  • Matilda
    The assessor and DWP probably are talking BS.  You know how far you can walk and how long it takes you.
  • april123
    I will be going against CAB advise but I felt I know more than him cause ive been stalking the sites. But I would never have said that I respect he gave me his time.
  • april123
    Hello all, could any one confirm for me, durring the moving around activity is this from when your sitting. As getting up to stand and your balance before walking. Or is from when you have balanced and walk please woody trying to word MR and used as much fact and reliability.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.