Any grants available? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any grants available?

disabledkenny1
disabledkenny1 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
Can anyone tell me if there are any grants available for purchasing disabled aids & equipment as there used to be community care grants which no longer assists, so been unable to find of any grants since, can any one advise me please, thanks.

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @disabledkenny1.....I can't give you a definite answer to your question but I received an interesting letter from LV insurance last week in which they say that if you've been with them for more than a year they can provide grants and they specifically mention mobility scooters.  Look up their website under members support.   You never know, but others may find this info useful too.  https://www.lv.com/members/support

Best wishes.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• disabledkenny1
    thanks but more household aids, I use an electric wheelchair
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @disabledkenny1 it may depend on what sort of aids you are looking for.

A good place to start is https://www.disability-grants.org

Do check out the tips at the bottom of the page. While they may seem obvious my experience with community based grant applications is that many fail simply because they have ignored the basics.

Even if you cannot find what you are looking for it is worth signing up to the email updates. These will give you up to date information of new grants or when older grants are reopened. It is always worth checking the criteria each time as these can change.

It is also worth checking out local charities to see if they provide funding or help you might benefit from. Established councillors, libraries or local disability networks can also be a good source of information on what might be available in the area you live in. 

Sorry there is no quick easy solutions for grants if not provided by local or national government, it is a matter of taking the time to search. While most grant providers try to make it easy to find what you are looking for, if they provide it, you may need to experiment a little with different words. For example if you are looking for something specific and search for this and cannot find it you may need to use a broader search and then go through the different results to find a grant that suits you. Do check the criteria, and also what they won't provide grants for, or you could find yourself applying for grants and getting no where.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• disabledkenny1
    Thanks Geoark I will check that out
  • peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Your local council should have funds to help you it's called citizen support scheme I.e used to be community care grants. Good luck
  • disabledkenny1
    Thanks peterpete
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @disabledkenny1

What equipment is it that you are trying to fund?

Have you had an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT) who has identified that you need this equipment? If so they may be able to arrange for you to be provided with the item or write you a letter to confirm that you need it. Having a supporting letter is very useful as most charitable grant giving organisations require a supporting letter or professional referral.

The Scope website has a search tool to assist with identifying grant givers you can apply to:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness