Nothing left - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nothing left

2»

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cripps Sorry it is not good to hear all these stories you are telling us. Are you writing them down.

Understand I ask right now, write down everything you have been through.  Diary keep a log and say to the support that. Why are you not saying anything to the care who arrives. Please can I have some food please can I have a drink. 

Problem is if you do not say or even state what is happening. Then they will walk over you.

One thing I learnt is having carers is a non stop job on to the next one. I have been there with mates.  Ring, ring my phone or mobile goes off. She aint here got no breakfast.  Up I get sling on jimjams and tired ill myself across down the road. Making tea toast, giving my mate a wash or a sort of one. Helping dress and the rest. I struggle dressing some days myself. So both of us either arguing or I am telling him you can do that.

I do not do toilet duty for mates you can do that.  May I ask what can you do.? By the way all my mates several were in wheel chairs.

She saunters in around hour late sees me. Who the hell are you?  I said the same thing back and next five minutes she got her eyes and ears pinned back as I am telling her.

Point no1 you will be here at the designated time .  You do not arrive late.

Point no2 This is a disabled friend and mate you will respect him all times.

Point 3 You time is his time right now you need to sort him out.

Point 4 Understand you have other clients this is the time for him. If he wants help and support. You help. Also lastly

Point 5. He has the right to dignity and also the right to complain if you do not adhere or make feel cared for.

Please do not be nasty or rude. Say what you want.  See my points clear, precise and straight forward.

By the way had so many of these calls constantly . Usually met at disabled centres or associations. That had to put a block on my phone and ended up complaints numerous times to care co ordinators and such charities.

My own support worker even her was astounded the amount of calls. Plus of cause it was concern for me. Because of stress I was receiving from my friends.

Remember I am ill and disabled myself .  Back then had addiction plus numerous anxieties. Tried to keep in touch help them. Yet at the request of my own support.  Walked away.  Effecting me mentally and physically. Spent more time helping them as never helping myself.

Need now to focus on me.  Been twenty years plus so have still these reminders like your story. I need to say right now, you have to if you please can try to get this sorted.

Lost friends because of inadequate services and staff.

Love to see in this sector performance pay. You do a job get basic salary but also performance pay based on the words of clients.  Understand they do a good job get more money. Do not do a good job removed and no money.

Remember as I said, I know you are in a wheelchair . How and what can you do for yourself. Need to try to think and adapt best to your circumstances. I know that. Changed lots of things myself had to.

All we can do as a community is to advise you and support you. You have the final words. People have made a loads of suggestions.

Please can I add you have the power you do. Starting today. I know this all started because of SKY TV.  The opportunity is there to stop this mis treatment.

Understand if you saw some one hurting what would do , think of that.

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    *hugs* if you want them, @cripps. I'm almost there myself. It does get better.
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Thanks hugs good every one needs hugs
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Can I join in this group (((((hugs))))) too.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @charlene
    havecyou heard about your MR yet.

• charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    Hi Susan, not as yet. Been waiting 4 weeks now.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear you've been feeling low, @cripps. If there's anything we can help you with, please do let us know. As the others have said, it might be worth considering changing your social worker?
  • cripps
    Thank you for your concern, I’ve had a really bad morning speaking to my social worker she wanted to cancel my career because i didn’t need them on a Wednesday because i see my councillor and I’ve been asked to go on a day out on Sunday. So what do i do for the rest of the week and am i supposed to say no to everyone because my careers are coming, I’ve got people and friends trying to help me because otherwise i wouldn’t see the light of day. I’ve tried asking the careers to take me out but they said they can’t because of health and safety, it all seems very unfair, all they have done is tried to railroad me into doing what they want me to do because it’s easy for them. Feeling very let down and very upset, I’ve had a cry
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you get a Direct Payment? This is for you to pay for your care and services that the social services have assessed that you need.
    When was the last time you were actually assessed? 
    It is not imo down to the social services to cancel a carer, this is down to you to reschedule etc. They come in to meet your care needs, having someone visit or going out shouldn't change this. That payment is four you to choose your services.

As for not going out, my carers role does not extend beyond what they actually do. They do not get paid to take me out. If I wish to do that I have to use my pip and employ a private organisation. It was decided I didn't need that help, although I do- because I'm paying for it.
    Have you been assessed as needing help to go shopping? If yes then they should be taking you. 
    Sounds like you need another assessment. 
    If you are in a wheelchair, have the council put in a ramp so you can actually get out. I don't know your condition so I would only say why can't you get out, because I do not know what the carers are doing for you when they come etc.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • cripps
    Thank you for your support, i am in a wheelchair but can only go out to with a career because where i live there’s lots of hills, the ramp situation was supposed to be sorted out by my social worker 2 months ago but still no joy so I’m going to have to ring the council and no they won’t give me a powered wheelchair. I’ve also been onto the manager at social Services and told her what’s going on so we’re going to have a meeting tomorrow ( thank god for that) to be honest the hole thing is a mess and a disgrace and it looks like it’s down to me (again) to sort things out. I don’t think I’ll ever trust a social worker or career again . 

Brightness