PLANNING HERB GARDEN PART 1 - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PLANNING HERB GARDEN PART 1

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Herb question.

i suffer badly from night sweats, my age unfortunately.

Iv been using sage tablets from the herbal shop, as it’s supposed to help.

Is there anything else I can use to help?
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    yes there are a few different things but it depends if you are on medication or not, any other conditions that could cause problems. St Johns Wort, Lady's mantle, using a rose or geranium skin toner after showers, peppermint oil used on temples and wrist points as it also calms down breathing helps relax you more. I would need a lot more info before I would say yes try this or that as I would not want to recommend anything potentially harmful.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Have we not met before somewhere?  Thanks again Yes another reason for growing herbs and may I say taking spices is for my own health benefits.

Understand I am afraid do know what I take helps me.

Unfortunately the lovely people of SCOPE will not allow me talking about the medicinal properties of what I take.

One of the rules of the forum.

Please can I add we all of us are moderated our chat for inappriopate content.

Hence my comments on the word game.

All I can helped me a lot.

Basically my story now of legend in his own lunch time .lol

Had an addiction history . Long term abuser of alcohol and drugs. Read my story Anniversary I think it is under Reasons to be Cheerful.  If you wish to, not have to.

Anyway found by using herbs and spices alleviates the pain with drawl. The anxiety and the depression. Mainly the bodies reactions to over counter meds. So used herbal ones.

Researched and looked at the diets cuisines of many countries. Got into food of the Southern Med, Italian plus food, cuisine of North Africa, Greece, Spain. All that vegetables, fish,  olive oil, beans, pulses, pasta, grains, dried fruits, yoghurt all helped to alleviate mental health and depression not all though but helps every day.

Need to live there then be better really.

Also looking at similarities in Chinese and Indian cuisines all the same in a lot of instances.

That is why in this country we need to start and look at our selves, diet wise.  The colouration between diet and mental health.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    I hope I did not over step in saying what I did above. But I always state unless you have all information you can not recommend someone to take anything even if it is over the counter.

I am sure we have never met before, I think I would remember :)

As for medicinal properties of herbs, I do not know if you are aware of why recipes are put the way they are. For example why you have parsley on starter and soups, as it is a digestive aid, they put basil and oregano, rosemary thyme etc in main courses as mostly for antifungal and antibacterial as well as indigestion properties and to reduce flatulence, and mint always on the last course to help reduce sweats calm spasms in the stomach and freshen breath. This was not about medicinal purposes this was done like that due to high bacteria in foods although the bacteria aspect was not known when this started, it was known having these items made eating more pleasant and manageable. A lot less people also died, so things that were once culinary are now known to be medicinal.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Please I cannot advise on certain herbs. I do know that if it is working then give it a try.  Certain herbs I use work for me.

Understand only with the say so of the moderators, what I would say.

Consider your diet .lifestyle. I do know any anxiety is and can be helped with being sensible. 

I personally cut out caffeine, that helped me. Make also have a look at other things usual alcohol cocoa and chocolate cause anxiety. symptoms.

Any diet changes the well being of your own self is important.

Health things like I eat a well balanced diet. Such as Meat, Eggs, Cheese, Nuts, Greens leafy ones like Spinach or others.

Please have a look around the web with caution though.  Please also consider speaking to a dietician or nutritionist.

Please can I add also when I had my addiction and wanted to get clean and sorted. Did not do this on my own. Consulted well being support teams. Had a guy take through how I could help myself.

Also think of them as guru's can help with other food related problems. Food intolerances or other issues, it is learning education.

Also lot of it then my own research and information. Did a lot of sitting on the web, looking at websites. Googling is it. Remember my friend sometimes Dr Google may not be the answer but by sifting the wheat from the chaff.

Have and am still learning.

Pleasure to help but look at well being service. I understand nervous, anxious. Most of them are run by ladies with courses all ladies. I was the exceptional one only gent.

Speak soon

Take care

Your friend 

The One and Only Spiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • susan48
    @thespiceman, @fishingmum
    my apologies I should know better.
    I wasn’t thinking when I posted about sage.
    I was just wanting to pick your knowledge brains.

My sincere apologies 
  • fishingmum
    no worries, I hope what was said might give you something to and look up ask at your doctors next time you are in they often have a safe list and can recommend people near you who could assist further.
  • susan48
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for replies what I meant have we met before my little joke. Seeing that have just sent a lot of posts , me commenting replying back.

You can see that you have done nothing wrong. In talking about the uses for herbs medicine and for digestion.  Had this when I first joined asked because we know. So do you that natural medicine and herbal medicine is being carefully scrutinised by the media and medical professionals. For own health.

I know about the digestion part of herbs. Use fennel seeds with fruit and yoghurt . After meals. Helps my digestion. Understand a lot of research now that is looking alternatives to antacids and other over counter meds.

My knowledge is I do know about the anti bacterial properties why I also take them.  Thank you much appreciated as always. Great to have you here . Sometimes my memory not good. So my friends who know me will say if am wrong or right. That is a sign of alcoholism. Need another friend who is into herbs, spices.  Plus food ideas, such as diet lifestyle and other alternatives to health.  There a number of us on the forum.

You have met @Victoriad .  My friend always caring and always sharing recipes and anything food related.

Please can I say thank you for sharing and caring and supporting . This what the forum is all about. Great to talk to you. Hope please speak again.

All of us have knowledge and experience we all learn from each other.

I appreciate you commenting today about my interests in herbs. Great.

Hope to speak soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Please can I add you have done nothing wrong my friend.

I care and am concerned as I spoken to you many times.

This gent just worried about you.

Understand the fears and anxieties please try to speak to some one like a well being service. Usually run by local councils. Just an idea.

Understand am very anxious went in got help and the rest is history.

I do know as we all do struggle with health issues.

I am and still do wish to be and feel great but if the drugs or meds do work. Look at other sources of help and support.

There is a lady on the forum SCOPE have consider talk to her.  She is a nutritionist and might help.  Under Ask a nutritionist.

By the way all these services are used to people of our community.

Please take care, can ask me anything food related if I can help.  Within the boundaries of the forum.

The one and only spiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Victoriad Thanks for this made a note. Hope you do not mind?

Speak soon
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    Hi @Victoriad I have the same book @thespiceman We all have issues, problems, know people who have had them, a safe place to talk about whatever whenever is good for the soul.  If you look to the top right hand side of my book case you can see it there. This was when I used them in my business, now just for friends and family.

• fishingmum
    @thespiceman always happy to chat about food, herbs and spices and all round chatting, according to my friends I have a magical bench in my kitchen, they come in and sit down on it and before the tea is finished the feel less stress and more able to cope with the day ahead, so anytime anyone needs to chat I will get a kettle on.
  • [Deleted User]
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for reply. Great good to know. Helps through the day.

Have always ideas and solutions to the every day problems what to eat.

Hope we can share ideas sometime

Take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespicemanthat is good, I love free food as well, and any free recipes that I can make up. My free food fish, eggs, berries and veg that I grow so it is fair amount I get for free. maybe there should eb a recipe thread :)

Brightness