Really fed up with DWP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really fed up with DWP

Annabelle26
Annabelle26 Scope Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
I rang the DWP this morning to see what is happening regarding my ESA & the Mandatory Review.  Eventually the Decision Maker rang back.  She was a really awful jobsworth.  The decision was made yesterday not to accept the MR.  According to her their was a pattern of avoidance because I missed 4 appointments last year.  Apparently I should have provided evidence but no one told me at the time.  Also apparently I should  have received a form about home visits when they accepted my last MR but I have never received such a form.  I told her that but she said they were sent out automatically.  She told me I can appeal but I have to wait for the decision letter.  I told her I was already doing that with PIP. She sounded quite gleeful & she really upset me.  She made me cry & have an anxiety attack.  She also told me if I want money I have to apply for JSA.  This I have done online. I rang the benefit line about an advance payment but they cannot look to see if they can do that until they get the application which may take hours. I may have to wait until Monday.  At present I do not have enough money to meet all my beginning of the month bills.
I am still waiting to for a Tribunal date for my PIP several weeks on.
I am now really tired & have a headache so I am going to take a couple of tablets & lay down.

Comments

• debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Do not allow these monsters to give you a headache, they are not worth it!  They already have enough power to control us so why give them more? In my own situation when they stopped my ESA, I went for tribunal appeal and while waiting for tribunal date, the DWP paid me ESA at the assessment rate each week which is approximately £30 less than the full rate.  Also, this assessment rate was back dated from the date they stopped my full rate ESA benefit.  Ring them up and request if you can be paid the assessment rate of ESA or PIP while you await your tribunal hearing. It is worth a phone call :)

• Annabelle26
    Thank you.  It was her attitude that really upset me.  She obviously did not want to  speak to me & i should not be questioning her decision. I will ring up Monday about the ESA as I was told if i wanted money I had to claim  JSA.   I have received the decision letter so will start the appeal process.  The DM has listed the appointments I cancelled because of sickness but she has just put unwell with no explanation .  I shall go into more detail .  Also appointments changed but no mention of why.  I shall say about my virus & anxiety attacks .  She has also made a couple of  spelling mistakes.  I have to go on Tuesday about the JSA.  I have also been given details of a CAB Adviser who is expert in PIP/ESA.  I  have a meeting with her Wednesday .

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    So they've decided you are fit for work and you need to sign on?
    Or they have taken you out of the support group.

I don't see how they can just stop it, unless as they are saying you haven't been attending appointments and then they can sanction. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Annabelle26
    No they have not decided anything like that.  This decision maker decided because I missed 4 appointments although I did ring up to explain I was ill & what was wrong  plus I had change 2 appointments because they were too early which would have meant travelling on crowded buses which would have caused anxiety attacks plus claustrophobia I was evading medical assessments  so was not entitled to ESA.  It is just her opinion that I was malingering but she did not actually say it but it was her tone when she said there was a pattern of evasion .  That is what really upset me.  I was also told if i wanted money I had to claim JSA.  No one told me I may still be able to carry on claiming ESA whilst I appeal .
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    So they have closed your claim because of your failure to attend a WCA?
  • whistles
    I would be upset as well.
  • Annabelle26
    Yes even though they know I have chronic illnesses.  Its really annoying me having to go through the hassle of the appeal procedure.  I am already doing it for PIP.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I was mysteriously bumped off esa 2 years ago. I had to go on JSA and luckily my advisor was helpful as she knew me from me being bumped on and off esa and appealing etc. I had to go see an employability advisor  one to one when I was on esa and when she left her job I was sent to a group setting. I couldnt cope and cancelled appointments and next thing I got bumped off esa. Going through the whole appeal process was horrible. I lost my appeal and tribunal and had to go on JSA. I have to show I am able to job search for a minimum hours job. Meanwhile I am getting support to hold down 6 hours supported work. But its what you have to do to get any income. Right now I am appealing pip as well. So I know how you feel. I gave up on esa as I couldnt carry on with the stress and I got bad advice at the time. You think you cant do one more thing and sometimes you cant. Just go see cab etc asap or money advice team and get good advice. I would cancel any direct debits and let the companies know you are going to rearrange payments. You dont need bank charges as well. Good luck 
  • whistles
    I don't fully get the two types of ESA. 
    The support group who are unfit for work and are not expected to do anything to improve their chances of getting any.
    Then the WRAG group who are also unfit for work but do have to improve their chances. 
    Surely unfit is unfit? 

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @whistles Ah ha! There you go, expecting sense from the DWP! Silly creature. ;)

*If* the people in the WRAG group were *really* unfit but moving toward fit-to-work (many of them should be in the Support Group, and won't be able to work in the near future, if ever); and
    *if* the work-related activity provided by the DWP and its contractors was at all helpful (many of the courses are complete dross, apparently); and
    *if* the JC helped these people to find appropriate jobs when they were ready;
    then the WRAG would be a great idea. If. As it is, it's a waste of time, money, stress, etc.
  • whistles
    Waylay said:
    @whistles Ah ha! There you go, expecting sense from the DWP! Silly creature. ;)

*If* the people in the WRAG group were *really* unfit but moving toward fit-to-work (many of them should be in the Support Group, and won't be able to work in the near future, if ever); and
    *if* the work-related activity provided by the DWP and its contractors was at all helpful (many of the courses are complete dross, apparently); and
    *if* the JC helped these people to find appropriate jobs when they were ready;
    then the WRAG would be a great idea. If. As it is, it's a waste of time, money, stress, etc.
    The UC groups look a mess as well.
    I thought they were simplifying the system! 
    I really think if a job at NASA came up I could get that hands down over understanding the different benefits out there. By that I mean all their rules because UC has different rules to ESA. 
  • Otto
    Otto Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Consider this:

i) The "Decision Maker" is most likely a low paid junior Civil Servant working under extreme pressure from dim witted management

ii) That is not a career of choice for anyone who is actually otherwise employable in the real world. Their management is terrible.

iii) The massively complex system is actually run by juniors who really don't understand and worst of all having to work off the outputs of don't give a damn and often unqualified, outsourced staff working under a contract for a company  not properly supervised by the DWP at all.

iv) Mandatory Reconsideartions by the DWP carry an 85% rejection rate, They are near automatic rejections and an evil farce.

v)  DWP as a whole is proven by the National Audit Office and the Public Accounts Committee to be unfit for purpose.

Don't get upset but angry. Get input from CAB and others prepared to help. Push forward with Appeals and do it properly. The First Tier Tribunal is not to be feared in the slightest: it is your only salvation.

Unlike the self serving idiots who are currently locking you into a world of misery for their own convenience the panels are intelligent, experienced legal and medical professionals who are capable of rational thought and fully understand both the system and the grotesque administrative failings.

In short and totally disgracefuly, the FTT has all too often become the first opportunity for proper reasoned decision making.

• Waylay
    Unfortunately, the Tories just don't give a sh*t about us - we don't make them money, so as far as I can tell, we're like stray cats to them - we need to be culled for the good of the "productive" population.

Some of their MPs really don't believe that it can be "that" bad, but some of them know very well what's happening, and they do nothing to stop it. Be angry - be enraged! This is a less obvious version of Aktion T4. It isn't personal, and they don't have it in for you in particular, but in some ways that's worse: we're even worth notice as individuals. Fight them. Don't let them do this to you. 

• Waylay
    We're NOT even worth notice
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Yes the govt is doing all it can to eradicate people with disabilities.  Everything from genetic screening to starving people and witholding medication and care.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.