Wish it was all over - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wish it was all over

2»

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    I don't think anyone is having a go at anyone here to be honest. We are all different with different conditions and if someone doesn't understand yours, it doesn't mean they are having a go. 

And fwiw I only have an understanding of what agrophobia is, having suffered with a phobia myself. What it is, is irrelevant if it interferes with your day to day life, however it needs to effect the descriptors to get pip on the majority of days.
    What your impairment is, is irrelevant its about why it effects the descriptors and how.

I got DLA low rate mobility before pip with an invisible condition. Pip gave me enhanced and my condition isn't any different. What is different is pip is not dla and some people won't quality. 

I still don't see the connection to cooking and mobility. One is asking if you can cook and the other if you can walk or if you can plan and follow a journey.
    If you cannot cook because you are too tired or in too much pain after having walked to the kitchen, maybe. But they will expect you to have a stick, stall to sit on to carry on.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Victoriad said:

This was not an attempt to belittle you........

Treatment

A stepwise approach is usually recommended for treating agoraphobia and any underlying panic disorder.

The steps are as follows:

1. Find out more about your condition, the lifestyle changes you can make, and self-help techniques to help relieve symptoms. 
    2. Enrol yourself on a guided self-help programme. 
    3. Undertake more intensive treatments, such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), or see if your symptoms can be controlled using medication.

The various treatments for agoraphobia are outlined below. 

Lifestyle changes and self-help techniques

Learning more about agoraphobia and its association with panic disorderand panic attacks may help you control your symptoms better.

For example, there are techniques you can use during a panic attack to bring your emotions under control. 

Having more confidence in controlling your emotions may make you more confident coping with previously uncomfortable situations and environments.

These self-help techniques are described below. 

• Stay where you are – try to resist the urge to run to a place of safety during a panic attack; if you're driving, pull over and park where it's safe to do so. 
    • Focus – it's important for you to focus on something non-threatening and visible, such as the time passing on your watch, or items in a supermarket; remind yourself the frightening thoughts and sensations are a sign of panic and will eventually pass. 
    • Breathe slowly and deeply – feelings of panic and anxiety can get worse if you breathe too quickly; try to focus on slow, deep breathing while counting slowly to three on each breath in and out. 
    • Challenge your fear – try to work out what it is you fear and challenge it; you can achieve this by constantly reminding yourself that what you fear isn't real and will pass. 
    • Creative visualisation – during a panic attack, try to resist the urge to think negative thoughts, such as "disaster"; instead, think of a place or situation that makes you feel peaceful, relaxed or at ease: once you have this image in your mind, try to focus your attention on it. 
    • Don't fight an attack – trying to fight the symptoms of a panic attack can often make things worse; instead, reassure yourself by accepting that although it may seem embarrassing and your symptoms may be difficult to deal with, the attack isn't life threatening. 

Making some lifestyle changes can also help. For example, ensure you:

• take regular exercise – exercise can help relieve stress and tension and improve your mood 
    • have a healthy diet – a poor diet can make the symptoms of panic and anxiety worse 
    • avoid using drugs and alcohol – they may provide short-term relief, but in the long term they can make symptoms worse 
    • avoid drinks containing caffeine, such as tea, coffee or cola – caffeine has a stimulant effect and can make your symptoms worse 

Guided self-help

If your symptoms don't respond to these self-help techniques and lifestyle changes, your GP may recommend enrolling on a guided self-help programme.

This involves working through self-help manuals that cover the types of issues you might be facing, along with practical advice about how to deal with them.

A number of internet-based programmes are also available. For example, Moodjuice is an online resource designed to help you think about emotional problems and work towards resolving them.

Guided self-help for agoraphobia is based on CBT, which aims to change unhelpful and unrealistic patterns of thinking to bring about positive changes in behaviour.

In turn, CBT uses a type of therapy called exposure therapy, which involves being gradually exposed to the object or situation you fear and using relaxation techniques and breathing exercises to help reduce your anxiety.

Oh so now your shouting as well.
    I feel like iv accidently stumbled into a dwp decision makers website!  
    Your obviously determined to prove your right so be my guest. People who suffer these debilitating and DISABLING conditions are used to hearing it. I just don't expect to find it on a disability support website thats all. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @kah22

Please check your email inbox, have sent you, my thoughts on your draft.

atlas46
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Victoriad said:
    I am not shouting.

I copied and pasted the article from the NHS Choices website and added the first comment myself to explain that ......it was not an attempt to belittle you...... and that’s the font that came up automatically.

I did not have a means at my disposal to change the font......not some sinister motive, otherwise.

No ......it’s not a DWP decision makers website, it’s a thread on the scope forum.

I was hoping to support you, as obviously do the NHS,as this was from the NHS choices website ,which posts current advice for medical professionals and patients alike to read and follow the advice.

By the way, I do understand,what’s its like to be suffering from anxiety and the like, being presently under the care of the psychiatric services of a psychiatrist and a CPN and making great progress....in fact getting my driving licence back is one of the steps I will achieve soon.

..... but unlike yourself,at this present moment..... I do try and be positive, and I am willing to help myself, to try and overcome my difficulties,by accepting similar advice, as that given in the NHS Choices site, similar advice as given to me ,by the fortnightly visits of the CPN and monthly visit to the psychiatrist.

By the way...you don’t have a monopoly on being a sufferer of mental health problems, the difference between us being, that I am trying to help myself overcome my present difficulties,rather than suffer unnecessarily  .......

How dare you say that about me! You have no idea about me or my personal struggles.  You are very offensive. This site is full of comments by you where you set yourself up as having the only valid viewpoint and everyone else is wrong.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Shylers
    Shylers Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Victoriad said:
    Think positive ....it’s the only way to go.

Sadly for some people this sometimes (or even frequently) is NOT an option open to them, despite whatever medication they may be on. 
    I know that often there is no light, not even a flicker at the end of the tunnel... everything is dark & getting darker so no matter how much I would love to think positive, my mind instead goes pragmatically & at which time there is only a downward spiral & that somehow does not seem positive. 
    It is like me being in a room full of wasps & you saying to me that I should think positive about not getting stung when realistically I am exceedingly likely to be & as I am severely allergic to them there is most definitely negativity all around...
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi Victoriad

Please be on notice that I intend to have you excluded from this forum.

atlas46
  • [Deleted User]
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    People come here for advice and help, not to be abused.  Please respect each other we all have our own health problems to deal with but try when we can to help.

There are other sites available for "debates"  ............This is not Scopebook
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    This is disgusting please stop
  • redhead53
    redhead53 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    chill out people there is a click on this site and if you do not fit you get removed so chill and think before you post i have sat here a month reading and i do not like some who post they do seem rather stern
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    I am a bit lost why one poster has been singled out because another one finds what they asked offensive.  That question was not being directed at them personally.
    It was a question, because they don't understand something.
    We are responsible for how we feel and how we respond to a post. 

How are some MH conditions connected to the mobility question when it is asking if you can physically walk 50 metres?
    Finding it hard to plan and follow a journey, yes, but the op is looking to score higher on cooking which gives them an argument for planning. 
    I think I said similar to @Victoriad in that I didn't get that because you if you need supervision when outdoors you do regardless, so you have submitted the evidence already.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • redhead53
    redhead53 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Victoriad said:
    What on Earth has preparing food got to do with mobility?

whistles said:
    I don't think anyone is having a go at anyone here to be honest. We are all different with different conditions and if someone doesn't understand yours, it doesn't mean they are having a go. 

And fwiw I only have an understanding of what agrophobia is, having suffered with a phobia myself. What it is, is irrelevant if it interferes with your day to day life, however it needs to effect the descriptors to get pip on the majority of days.
    What your impairment is, is irrelevant its about why it effects the descriptors and how.

I got DLA low rate mobility before pip with an invisible condition. Pip gave me enhanced and my condition isn't any different. What is different is pip is not dla and some people won't quality. 

I still don't see the connection to cooking and mobility. One is asking if you can cook and the other if you can walk or if you can plan and follow a journey.
    If you cannot cook because you are too tired or in too much pain after having walked to the kitchen, maybe. But they will expect you to have a stick, stall to sit on to carry on.
    one point ?if you cannot stand to prepare a meal or you lack the ability to even try that comes under mobility according to a pip da 

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    Good evening. I've closed this thread.

Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them. 

Take care to present your views tactfully and please don't get make personal attacks or judgements.

You can read all our guidelines here. If you have any questions, you can get in touch - community@scope.org.uk
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.