Not hopeful anymore — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not hopeful anymore

Options
rosiet
rosiet Community member Posts: 4 Listener
when I had my PIP assessment just over 2 weeks ago, I was so nervous that I chattered inanely to my friend all the way through. Since then I have fallen apart. 11 days ago I was admitted to hospital after an ECG showed I'd had a heart attack in recent days. I'm still in hospital awaiting the organisation of a care package. I called PIP to let them know my change of circumstances but the man was rude & unhelpful. Now I feel there's little point in expecting to pass. I'm having suicidal thoughts & don't know what to do. My life is already falling apart & the crisis team will be there to meet me when I'm discharged. I feel I've been branded a liar & have no idea how I'll cope without the benefits as I'm a pensioner who has to rely on taxis, without them I'll be housebound. How do I cope from here?

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @rosiet I am so sorry you are going through this and hope you recover soon. I would be asking for help with dealing with dwp rather than doing it yourself. Raise it with hospital who may be able to refer you to other agencies to help you. You are not well enough right now. Hopefully you will get more advice on here. Dont let the system get you down. Take one day at a time and good luck.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @rosiet and welcome to the community.

First of all please don't feel like you have been branded a liar, the PIP process is corrupt and designed more to keep people from getting what they are entitled to than actually helping them. Also know that you are not alone in how you are feeling after dealing with these psychophants.

As for how do you cope, sadly the answer is a lot easier to say than do. At the moment concentrate on those things you can do and try not to worry too much about things you have no control over.

When your decision comes through, if it is not what you were expecting, then let us know and we will try and help you. Being turned down does not mean you are not entitled, just that you need to go through the process or reapply. 69% of appeals are successful.

If you are feeling suicide and need someone to talk to you can call the samaritans on 116 123 this is a free phone number so will not cost you.

hopefully you will get the right decision.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Madworld
    Madworld Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Options
    @rosiet im sorry to hear what youre going through believe me I understand, you need to get any statements you can from doctors saying you have been in the hospital and why so if it doesnt go the way you have hoped you have valid proof when you appeal. They are making it difficult right now for people they are rejecting most people for stupid reasons and most of these people are appealing and winning it that way, 66percent of rejected cases get accepted when they appeal. Just make sure you get as many statements as you can from any doctor who knows you and proof of any medication and you'll be fine, and everything will be backpaid from the origional date just ask for a mandatory reconsideration within 30 days of your decision if you get bad news. Hope this helps
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @rosiet, I'm so sorry to hear that things are difficult at the moment and that you're in hospital.

You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

Wishing you all the best with your PIP, I'm sure many of our community members will be able to empathise with what you're going through. Please do keep us updated and we'll offer support and guidance wherever we can. I hope today is as kind as possible to you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.