What happens when I turn 65? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What happens when I turn 65?

Arnold
Arnold Community member Posts: 35 Listener
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
got my award 11 points for care 12 for mobility ...I have asked for a reconsideration and have got a letter of my gp there were numerous lies in the assesors report this is why I have asked for a mc if she had told the truth I would have been awarde enchanced rate living component ..I have only been awarde this for 2 yrs is this because I will be 65 then ..I cannot get better only worse my gp was disgusted with the report as the asseor said I could cook a meal ..I have limited use in my right arm she said I had 4/5 use my gp put it at 1/2 what happens when im 65 im asking for the award to be made longer

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi Arnold

A very warm welcome.

Well done on getting both parts of PIP.

As you are seeking a MR, you can seek a longer award period.

As you have your assessment report and weakness in one arm (as I do), what points to you get for cooking meal?

I got 4pts, because my wife has to peel and chop veg etc. As I have cut myself if I attempt it. You have to be able to do things safely and in a reasonable time (no more twice the time of an ambled person).

If you are on PIP when you reach 65, you stay on pip.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Best wishes

@atlas46

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Apart from the young (under 16) everybody will have to move to PIP from DLA. The only exception is that if you were 65 or more on the 8th April 2013 then the government want you to stay on DLA as PIP is classed as a benefit for working age applicants.

I am interested in your comment about having a MR to apply for a longer term. I never knew that that was possible. I am 70 now and for the past 5 years I have had three PIP face to face assessments resulting in after MR a term of 3 years, review after 2. This is ridiculous given my problems and to be honest the way the DWP are carrying on it looks like nothing will change until I die! I just don't fancy face to face assessments every other year until I am 90 in 2038!!
  • atlas46
    Hi Yadnad

I could not agree with you more, it is absolute nonsense.

My next review I will be 68, with numerous long term problems, that I have had for over 10 years.

But you have to almost beg for your PIP, when the whip is cracked.

Do not give in, we are better than them.

a
  • Yadnad
    Hi Atlas, I had my first F2F at 65, my second when I was 67 and the last one when I was 69. As I say I have just turned 70 and still waiting for the latest MR result.
    Long term - I started on DLA in 1995 and was given High Care & Mobility indefinitely. Some of my many problems go back to 1995 and one back to 1981.

Ironically because of what happened in 1995 I was also awarded Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit for life purely because of mental health issues and a brain injury. Now with PIP they refuse to accept that I have any problems of a mental health source - in fact because I don't rock when seated, sweat, dribble etc  they believe that the evidence that I sent them when all this started 5 years ago is all made up!! I gave up after that and for the second and third re-assessment didn't include anything relating to mental health.
  • atlas46
    I wish I could say I am shocked by your post, but nothing surprises my any more.

Though I am gobsmacked they have not considered your mental health, in view of your life time award for industrial injuries. As the DWP assessed you for that and it's paid by them.  It is also an extremely difficult award to get.

Like I said, we will not give in, I'm sure they think they can grind us down, so we will not bother to reapply.

How wrong they are.

atlas46
  • Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    I wish I could say I am shocked by your post, but nothing surprises my any more.

Though I am gobsmacked they have not considered your mental health, in view of your life time award for industrial injuries. As the DWP assessed you for that and it's paid by them.  It is also an extremely difficult award to get.

Like I said, we will not give in, I'm sure they think they can grind us down, so we will not bother to reapply.

How wrong they are.

atlas46
    I'm no longer shocked just dismayed. Yes all of the IIDB assessments were carried out by doctors employed by the DWP. They used to give me awards of 4 years. The last re-assessment was in 2011 which changed to a lifetime award. According to the DWP I have lost 40% of my previous abilities hence I get the 40% rate of £70 a week.

As for IIDB being difficult to get, far from it, The DWP wrote to my consultant psychiatrist who submits a written report, then the assessing doctor just talks my wife and I through it. That was all there is to it.

The hardest one to get at the right rate is in fact PIP. And if I had been born just a few weeks earlier I would still be on DLA as being too old for PIP.
  • atlas46
    Hi again

Yes dismay is more apt way to describe how you have been treated.

The 65 year old limit was utter nonsense, whilst at the same time everyone over 60 yrs gets winter fuel, bus passes etc. As a consequence of the aging process.

At that age you cannot risk your health by not keeping warm and be able to use public transport.

Why on earth could they not have excluded over 60yrs on DLA at the start of PIP in 2013. Instead constantly pushing assessments at them.

I know why they wanted as many of the over 60yrs off mobility payments and reduce as many off care component as possible.  Knowing that there would little public reaction or outcry.

• Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    Hi again

I know why they wanted as many of the over 60yrs off mobility payments and reduce as many off care component as possible.  Knowing that there would little public reaction or outcry.

In a way I have to agree. It is common knowledge that there are going to be more over 65's than any other age group. Consequently and I shouldn't say this but we of that age group already account for well over a half of all spending of the welfare budget.
    As more and more become older they were going to continually get High Mobility (either through age or disability) if they have the award at 65. More Motability cars would be needed plus and be a never ending drain on taxpayers.
    I sometimes think to myself that this can't go on. In general we contribute very little to society in terms of financial support yet take more out than any other sector of society. 

In a way I can understand the tax payers of today saying that the perks of being old, bus pass, heating allowance etc should only be given to those in extreme poverty. As for the State Pension and the age it kicks in has been altered to reduce that drain. But those of us that are on the 'old' State Pension scheme are still pulling in up to and over £200 a week.

Then we have the premiums and top ups. For a couple that are both disabled be it by birth, accident or simply age they can easily be on a weekly income of well over £600 a week!!

So yes the government have tried to reduce our income & benefits and in doing so are hoping to appease the rest of society who are starting to object to the 65+ club members being better off than they are - even when they are working!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.