Son's PIP taken away — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son's PIP taken away

theresa73
theresa73 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
edited April 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. My SON has ADHD anxiety and paranoia and is 19  sees a psychologist every 6 months but has only seen her once si far. He has just had his assessment and his PIP which he has had since he has been 7 has been receiving high PIP and low mobility . But now he receives nothing.  Why do they make it so hard to have to try and prove mental health.  I have my own disabilities and can't be doing with the stress of this.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear this, @theresa73. It must have been really difficult for you and your son to hear this. Are you appealing the decision?
  • theresa73
    Hi. I'm not sure what to do.. I ask them to look at it again but when they said I needed more evidence  I've come to a brick wall...  there is no help from the ages of 19 its basically fend for yourself and see your physiologist every 6 months.  I just feel so sorry for him. Now he won't trust anyone because he has been treated like a lier..   I have my own home assessment friday now im panicking because if they can do this to him    what will they do to me x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    theresa73 said:
    Hi. My SON has ADHD anxiety and paranoia and is 19  sees a psychologist every 6 months but has only seen her once si far. He has just had his assessment and his PIP which he has had since he has been 7 has been receiving high PIP and low mobility . But now he receives nothing.  Why do they make it so hard to have to try and prove mental health.  I have my own disabilities and can't be doing with the stress of this.
    Presumably because it is 'hidden' from view. Take two people that have an assessment. The first has no legs and only one arm due to a road traffic accident. It would be fairly obvious that the individual will have all manner of difficulties that the assessor would be hard pushed to ignore or disprove.
    The second person has suffered extreme mental trauma as in a soldier who has been medically retired due to PTSD. He sits and talks to the assessor and on the face of it during the 30/40mins of assessment he appears completely normal. There may well be indications of why he claims but on the whole he could either be said to be lying or overstating his claim or  hiding his difficulties. With mental illness it is unlikely to be obvious.
    Thus proving the 'stories' of how he suffers and how it affects him is going to be that much harder.
    In my own case I gave up as it was pretty obvious that the DWP believed that I was faking it all and trying to disprove their opinion was going to be extremely difficult. 
  • theresa73
    Aaww I'm sorry to hear that you went through a horrible time with yours  it seems so unfair.. I see 
  • theresa73
    Your point about trying to prove something that you can't see.. It's just so hard when the services arnt there to help us.  I feel so sorry for my boy  but for years he has been in denial about having ADHD as he didn't want anyone to make fun of him. And me as his mother and his physiologist has been trying to tell him that it's ok to have ADHD we just climb over his hurdles in life that affect him most.  He now definitely thinks me and physiologist has been lying to him and the assessor was right..   this is another battle on my hands now x
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi theresa73
    I am so sorry to hear about the lack of support and provision for you and your son. Once again let down by the system. I can fully understand how A.D.H.D. effects your sons life and the difficulties he faces everyday. I have worked and supported  teenagers with A.D.H.D. for more than 20 years in Children's Services. Before I lost my job because of  my epilepsy there was a website called A.A.D.D.-UK. The site for and by adults living with A.D.H.D. It also has valuable information and helps adults who need to access A.D.H.D. services. There is also a forum you can join. Have a look and see if this is of any help to yourself and your son.
    Hope this helps and good luck with your assessment. xx
  • theresa73
    Aaww thankyou so much..   I have more help and advice on here in one day than I have had in a long time. Thankyou so much x
  • theresa73
    Aaww thankyou so much..   I have more help and advice on here in one day than I have had in a long time. Thankyou so much x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.