PIP isn't as fair as DLA! - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP isn't as fair as DLA!

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I did not say there are no end date awards;  I said there are 'no end date' awards, i.e. awards with no end date.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Why are we fighting amongst ourselves here, ask an advisor? 
    I dont agree with pip, but its here. I dont agree with the length of time, but thats what you get. Pip is not dla. In my opinion its a cost cutting exercise but thats just me. I think lots of people are getting treated poorly and being made to jump through hoops, but it is what it is. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Ongoing awards are ten years. 
    This was discussed last year and an advisor replied. 
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/33845/indefinite-pip-awards

Even with an indefinite award, nobody actually did because they got rid of DLA.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Ladypetal said:
    I used to be on DLA Indefinitely, but recently was switched over to PIP and although I got the same award it's not indefinite, which means I have to go through another stressful assessment etc in another 4 years time even though my spinal condition isn't going to get any better! It seems so unfair - is anyone else in the same boat/have advice? 
    You're lucky, I'm 70 and only get 3 year awards - to review after 2. Had 3 re-assessments in the past 5 years all for the same length.

However I have now been reliably informed by Mike [removed by moderator] that everyone should suggest to the DWP on the claim form how long an award should be for and give reasons and evidence. Also You can also have a MR to extend the award as well.

• Matilda
    I am not denying that many people are given fixed-term awards - but there are also people who are given non-fixed-term awards.  It's not a question of semantics - it's a matter of fact.  There are some awards with an end date and there are others that do not have an end date.
  • whistles
    Yadnad said:
    Ladypetal said:
    I used to be on DLA Indefinitely, but recently was switched over to PIP and although I got the same award it's not indefinite, which means I have to go through another stressful assessment etc in another 4 years time even though my spinal condition isn't going to get any better! It seems so unfair - is anyone else in the same boat/have advice? 
    You're lucky, I'm 70 and only get 3 year awards - to review after 2. Had 3 re-assessments in the past 5 years all for the same length.

However I have now been reliably informed by Mike Hughes that everyone should suggest to the DWP on the claim form how long an award should be for and give reasons and evidence. Also You can also have a MR to extend the award as well.

How would I come to that conclusion? Everyone is going to say ongoing ten years aren't they. 

My condition is lifelong, but it's fluctuating. 
    If my condition stays as it is today for example, I don't expect my life to copy. 
    It's about how you function.
    What I can't do and what I can will surely change based on product development and designing aids to assist? 
    The pip will bring in changes of legislation that changes how is marked. They brought in aids for a start- less points.

I am probably the wrong person for pip, I'm proactive. They ask if you can cook a simple meal, no I can't and this is why, but I don't need to be able to. There are other ways to function. By the time I had explained what I can do I'm surprised to get the two points for not being able to use the cooker!
    It's 2018 you do not need to be able to cook these days. 
  • Ladypetal
    Ladypetal Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Matilda said:
    There are 'no end date' awards but the DWP will still want to review these every 10 years even for conditions that cannot improve.  The government will still want to check on people even though this will be a waste of public time and money.  They just don't like paying out benefits so will insist on checking in order to keep control.

Labour have said that the will make indefinite awards to those whose conditions cannot improve.

• Ladypetal
    Ladypetal Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thank you Matilda for an intelligent, helpful and understanding reply. Previously under Labour I was given indefinite award, then Conservatives took over and had to ruin things for some of us and make things more difficult for genuine cases who don't need the stress of reapplying every few years.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @Ladypetal

Yes it is pointless when your never going to improve, I also was on DLA indef and yes i was lucky to move to PIP ongoing without grief, all i suggest is try and come to terms with it for now and try to relax, i know this is wrong like many also do. Stay strong...

I was also lucky to have great insight from my friend Debbie Abrahams my lovley labour lady she is my rock and wants to help us less fortune going through all this agro with this process.

Ok im gonna add a little more to this regarding ongoing awards.

I have the above and they know full well im never going to improve but get worse and no prospect of recovery this is and is Capita and the CM at the DWP's words

Also to add No one has had a review since having a ten year award or ongoing.

See below.

Also an ongoing award is after ten years not a year before, like they are for fixed term awards like a 3,4,5 or even a fixed term 10 year award.

So yes a full ten years or more and it could even be eleven years or more then you may be contacted thats what an ongoing award is.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Victoriad said:
    Just fished mine out.....
    Ive looked at your claim and decided

I can award you the standard rate of £55.10 a week to help you with your daily living needs from xx YYYY 2016 to xx YYYY 2020.....that’s a definate end date in my books.

Ive got it for four years with an end date.

My husband said the same from 2016 to 2020  so yes like you it clearly gives and end date and he is expecting to have to go through the whole assessment procedure all over again, same symptoms, same condition, but different assessor next time could have completely different outcome  and from what ive read the 4 yrs doesn't mean 4 full yrs as they are sending out another form after 3!
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    My reviews have happened 9 months after tribunal, 11 months after, and then 19 months. Lose it every time, MR, appeal, blah blah. 
  • whistles
    I don't understand why people don't understand that pip is not to do with the condition itself.
    It's about HOW it effects your ability to do the descriptors, your evidence- you.

You could line up 50 people with the same condition, all are individuals so it would be wrong to paint them with the same brush.
    Some of us have more than one condition, so the HOW effects them differently.
    I know people with my condition who work, people who are effected worse. So we got looked at differently. The fairly might not apply!!
    @Username_removed has tried to explain this lots of times.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Waylay said:
    My reviews have happened 9 months after tribunal, 11 months after, and then 19 months. Lose it every time, MR, appeal, blah blah. 

I've had 3 assessments since 2013.I'm 70 and always get 3 year awards but are reviewed ever 24 months. Prior to 2013 I was awarded DLA High Mobility & Care Indefinitely from 1995.
  • Matilda
    It's also about how well you make your case for how your disabilities affect your daily living and mobility; how many aids you use; if you struggle to do things even using aids; and to be frank if you 'look' disabled.  People are very influenced by what they can see; my deformed hands convinced tribunal that I should get an extra 2 points for food prep and this increased my DL points from 11 to 13.
  • whistles
    edited May 2018
    My pain is not seen, but felt
    My thought is not seen, but heard
    My memory is not seen, but forgotten. 
    What cannot be seen on the outside, is likely living on the inside.

• Madworld
    Madworld Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    @Username_removed I will repeat this again as you obviously didnt catch it the last time. YOU ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO RECORD AN ASSESSMENT IF YOU CALL P.I.P AND ARRANGE IT BEFORE THE ASSESSMENT TAKES PLACE. They will ask you to purchase a cassette recorder as its the prefered recording device. If you call the personal independance line yourself they will tell you, I know because I did. And true it wont guarentee a reward but it will guarentee that if an assessor writes down wrong info or claims you said something you did not you will have more then enough to prove your case. There has been thousands of reports lately on assessors who have lied or written the wrong info, its completely legal to record with consent and I think more of us should to prevent any lies or misunderstandings.
  • whistles
    Getting really fed up with people feeling the need to shout at other members.

Are people focusing as much time and energy on the forms as having a go at the assessors? 
    If they lie you take it up with atos or capita. 
    Go for an MR and show where you fit the descriptors, not point out how **** the assesor was. Anyone going for the MR feels the award is wrong whether that's the assessor or DM.
    Recording the assessment might actually show you that you said what you didn't think you have!
    It's also interpretation. Mine asked two questions.
    Do you do online banking- no 
    Do you use Facebook- no. 
    He concluded I didn't use the Internet at all. I didn't say that, I merely answered what I was asked. 
    That's what they do.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.