Living in 2 bed apartment with 2 special need kids and 1 baby — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Living in 2 bed apartment with 2 special need kids and 1 baby

zanyR Member Posts: 4 Listener
hi there currently we are 5 ppl living in 2 bed flat .my elder daughter is 12 and got severe disability as eplipse .my son is 7 years old and got autism learning difficulties and asd .my baby is 1 year old .my kids can’t sleep together as son is really hyperactive and my daughter takes drowsy medicine and my son doesn’t let her sleep and jump on her bed turn on the light and bcoz of autism doesn’t sleep much .so my husband sleep with them in their room so our son doesn’t disturb our daughter .they both got special need and need their room .we r in emergency list for moving in 4 bed flat or house since 2 years ago still nothing is available .life is really difficult can’t handle anymore no social worker no help at home .i don’t know what to do or whom to talk ....


  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie_Scope any advice?

    Hi @zanyR and welcome to the community. Unfortunately years of little building for social housing, especially in councils, right to buy/acquire, and the recent government order for councils to sell their most expensive properties on the open market to maximise the subsidies the right to buy for housing association tenants has done a lot to ensure a shortage in social housing, especially for larger number of bedroom properties. Most of the recent developments I have seen are advertising 1 to 3 bedroom properties, practically nothing above this.

    I have tagged Debbie_Scope as she is very knowledgable of housing issues. 

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • zanyR
    zanyR Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thankyou for for respond .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zanyR, welcome to the community!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your situation at the moment, it must be really difficult on all of you. I hope we can help. Hopefully @Debbie_Scope will be able to offer some guidance, but I wonder whether you'd prefer to give our free helpline a call and speak to one of our advisors about your situation instead?

    If so, you can get in touch at 0808 800 3333, or find other ways of contacting the team here.
  • zanyR
    zanyR Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Yes I will call soon Thankyou 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.