Refused PIP with a progressive, debilitating, life-shortening disease — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused PIP with a progressive, debilitating, life-shortening disease

Options
annsue
annsue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Son moving from DLA to ESA
My has been on DLA for since his early 20s - he is now 33. He has no job due to years of medical interventions and is finding it hard to get around. He has been refused PIP but ESA is continuing.  He has to return the car soon. He is becoming increasingly depressed - absolutely lost about what to do next in terms of trying to support himself. He can't imagine anyone employing him with his restrictions. (Of course he still suffers from the same progressive, debilitating, life-shortening disease he was born with.)Is there any advice, help, or training scheme to help people make these big changes to lifestyle? Thank you

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @annsue Pleased to meet you welcome. Glad you joined.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I am sorry at the moment I do not know what the answers are.

Have you looked at our various posts on employment and benefits for any advice.

Also I am sure some one in the community could advise or the team.

Hope and wishing you well.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi annsue and welcome to the community.

Can I ask if you requested a Mandatory Reconsideration for PIP? Often this just rubber stamps the initial decision and you would have to go to appeal. The appeal success rate is high, it was 66% but believe this has gone up recently. There is also a big discrepancy between success rates between those who attend an appeal and those who request a paper decision - it is a lot higher if you attend the appeal.

It is also important that the application, MR and appeal you concentrate on the criteria which can be seen at https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

Also request a copy of the assessors report.

It is not right the way disabled people are being treated in the UK at the moment or the loops they are having to go through to get the support that is meant to be there for them.

With regards to help or training I believe it would depend on largely what resources are available to you locally, rather than nationally. 

I hope you can things sorted out soon.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• annsue
    annsue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much, Spiceman and Geoark. My son is awaiting appeal date but does not believe he will be successful. I think he is finding it so difficult to understand as he has been unfit for work for so long and now, even though his condition has progressed( as there is no cure) he is told he is fit to work. Thank you for the advice.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.