Can you get enchanced Motability for mental health - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you get enchanced Motability for mental health

2»

Comments

• AFB
    AFB Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Thanks @poppy123456 for advice. Yeah my mum pretty much the same since she had mental health she lost her mental capacity and I have power of attorney as she no longer able to make decision her due to lack of capacity. Hopefully my mum can get enhanced rate. Thanks for help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. Just make sure you send that evidence. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AFB
    Hi @poppy123456
    Yep. Just sent more evidence today showing them that I have power of attorney.
    Thank you for your support.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @poppy123456
    That doesn't read as a MH condition that reads as a learning disability. And yes would be enhanced from what you have said. Interestingly in your case I suspect the cannot budget would have had an impact as well because they wouldn't know what money to use to get on the bus.

Hi @AFB
    Lacking capacity/cognitive impairment is not necessarily a mental health impairment. For an MH impairment you must show that you cannot plan due to an extreme psychological distress and cannot follow the journey (places you know well or places you do not) due to an extreme psychological distress. 
    So in theory if the person lacks capacity they wouldn't be planning or making any journey to get distressed in the first place under MH? 
    Just thinking outside the box here in what the dwp might be thinking.. Did they give a reason for the points. Have you new evidence to argue with?

Good luck with it.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • AFB
    @whistles if the person lacks capacity which they unable to plan a journey without support of another person then I'm sure sje can get enhanced rate as the descriptor states for 12 points cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    That's the part you could argue then, the capacity and provide proof of to support it? 
    Which you probably already have though.

It's sort of obvious to me that they should have got it, it's almost hard to see why they didn't! 

But the dwp don't look at the obvious it has to be spelt out simply as in the Ladybird Jack and Jill books. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • AFB
    @whistles Yes you are correct. DWP need to be told in baby language in order to understand. Thanks for the advice. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    AFB said:
    @whistles Yes you are correct. DWP need to be told in baby language in order to understand. Thanks for the advice. 

Surely not?
    And the government put them in charge of the Welfare budget? There's no hope!

• AFB
    edited May 2018
    @Yadnad Yes, there no hope with this government. As they only discriminated against the vunerable and disabled people in society. So there never goimg to be hope with conservative government. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Forget the current shower in power, Labour was no different. They devised ESA which saw a lot of sick people being told to get a job!
    In a way I feel sorry for a lot of MP's & councillors. They have there own opinion of what is right and what is wrong. Yet  they have to follow party dictum if they want to keep their job. One good friend and colleague was elected as a Labour councillor. After 2 years she thought that the grass was greener on the opposite side so she went over to the ruling Conservative benches. Now one year later she has fallen out of love with that party and intends to stand at the next election in May 19 as an independent.
    Unfortunately she like myself will never win a motion. At best we will be content to challenge what we feel is wrong and hopefully convince others to go against whatever party flag they stand under. 
    As an example I sit on a committee that oversees the development of the town. The conservative motion was to sell off some council owned land to the highest bidder and also take a % of the sale price of the houses to be built on it.
    I challenged that and warned them that I would not be party to the sale if low cost housing was not built on it instead. I advised them that I would personally inform the local press of their intention to sell off land owned by the council to build £600k houses on the site.
    I won, but allowed the Conservative chair to take the glory saying that it was his idea from the start - oh yea!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.