Appeal hearing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal hearing

ruby12
ruby12 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
going to an oral hearing..... could someone tell me what it’s like? Cheers 

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Be prepared for lots of questions and just answer the questions 

good luck
  • ruby12
    Thank you. How long approximately does it last and are the panel ok? Sorry for all questions!
  • susan48
    @ruby12
    mine lasted about 30 minutes I think, all a bit of a blur, i was extremely anxious.
    the panel were nice, the professor was a bit blunt and standoffish but that the job they have to do.
    Any other questions just ask.
    I win my appeal but had to wait on a letter as they were running behind.

• ruby12
    That’s good to know & im glad you won your ! Fingers crossed for me 
  • ruby12
    They adjourned a paper hearing to ask for medical records so I’m hoping that’s a good sign 
  • susan48
    Absolutely, when is your hearing?

i had a friend with me but were only allowed to answer or ask questions at the end. I have problems with my speech when I’m anxious so had difficulty talking. The professor said, it doesn’t matter how long it takes we want to hear you not anyone else!!

More anxiety but they were understanding and even asked if I needed a drink, maybe that was a test.

I hope your not going alone as you’ll probably need support 
  • susan48
    I’m not sure the ins and outs, Iv read that paper appeals are not as successful but hopefully you are.
    Is there a reason you cannot attend?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    This is what I posted recently on another thread.  Some of it might be relevant to your appeal.

Last May I won my PIP tribunal appeal.  Lasted 30 mins.

The panel are only interested in what you can and can't do.  They are looking for indications of difficulty with walking and with daily living. 

Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling.  Tribunal hearings are supposed to be inquisitorial.  Panel might asked challenging questions. 

Don't argue with the judge!

Panel based most of their questions on the 7 day diary I submitted.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  Always relate time to distance as just saying you can walk for X seconds or minutes without stating the distance might be interpreted as meaning you can walk farther than in fact you are able to.  Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

Doc asked how far from my front door was my car parked.

Disability person asked about the aids I use.  Use of aids of course is evidence of disability.  Asked about my difficulties preparing food and eating.  I have adapted cutlery and adapted veg peeler.

Judge and disability person asked if I use a disabled toilet when out.

The judge and doctor both seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of daily needs disability (strength, stamina).  Don't drive yourself to the hearing; take a taxi if necessary.  I only take a few short car journeys each week.

Don't dress up, wear clothes with few fastenings, minimal jewellery and, if you are female, minimal make-up.  People, including tribunals, are very influenced by what they can actually see for themselves on the day!

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to all stages of PIP and they publish a Handbook that has a detailed account of appeal hearing proceedings, price £18.50 from their website or you might find a copy in your local reference library.

• ruby12
    Thank you all for your comments & advice.... have the appeal beginning of June 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • susan48
    Fingers crossed and please let us know how it goes 
  • ruby12
    Will do & thank you
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Hi Ruby12 just reading your post on you going  to your tribunal I’m doing the same soon and looking for as much advice as you are. It’s scary stuff fighting the system for what should be rightfully yours away, i hope you get on alright at the hearing give them hell !!!!!!. GOOD LUCK ?NC
  • lisabrazil80
    lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    I am worried to death I got my appeal coming up and I don't no how I going to cope with them asking me question with my bordline personality disorder I can not remember yestday what about next week 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lisabrazil80, so sorry to hear you're feeling worried about your appeal. You may like to have a look at Scope's guidance on preparing for DWP appeals, and do come back to us with any questions.

https://youtu.be/tIHjSpNNbQo

https://youtu.be/2WEvbFVlQOc

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.