What’s the difference between a PIP Report Writer and a DA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What’s the difference between a PIP Report Writer and a DA

Options
kah22
kah22 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between a PIP Report Writer and a DA (I take that to be Disibility Assessor)

Both are mentioned in my Report. I’ve checked Capita jobs and I don’t see any as Report Writer. It was the RW who signed the assessment 

Kevin

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you have your face to face accessment the health professional will write up their report and at the start it should say who they are and their qualifications, the report is then sent to a DM desision maker who reads the report and awards your benefits usually on the findings of the report. 
  • kah22
    Options
     This was a Paper Based assessment.   

My reason for asking. The PBA (on MH grounds) and the actual assessment report is signed by A.Person physiotherapist and she is defined as a Report Writer.

Calls were made to our Psychiatrist by B.Person who was described in one place as a DA (which I take to mean Disability Assessor) and in another place as Clinical Coach. In actual fact the DA never got speaking to the Consultant and neither was their any direct letters from consultant to the DA.  In the SAR I can’t see any communication between the DA and the RW, so I’m wondering who actually was responsible for the report

If it was the physiotherapist then the assessment should fall since she has no medical experience; if the DA then what did she actually write; the SAR never gave her qualifications even though they were specifically asked for.  Neither did we see any correspondence between the RP and the DA/Clinical Coach

See where I’m coming from

Kevin

• kah22
    Options
    What I wondering is why are there Two  people involved in the report a RW and a DA 

When the DWP’s Decision Maker looks at the Report whose advice is he actually taking, can I assume the person who signs the report? If It is the physiotherapists then that opens up a challenge - she hasn’t the expertise
  • kah22
    edited May 2018
    Options
    No, there are not two people.

No  there are two people.(not real names) Mary Black physiotherapist she signed the report, while Snow White referred to as DA and CLINICAL COACH she made phone calls to the consultant but got no reply. 

I can understand the point about it been a report, not a medical. But surely to write a report like this you have to have to be able to interpret information before you and on a PBA I can’t see how someone with no experience of a hidden condition could write such a report, they wouldn’t have the knowledge to interpret the information in front of them

If I were standing in front of a Tribunal then I think I would be arguing that a physiotherapist hasn’t the ability to write such a report. I haven’t my papers in front of me at the moment but I did quote an esa case where a judge ruled that a physiotherapist hadn’t the ability to write a report on someone with a mental condition.

Maybe if it were the DA / Clinical Coach, then perhaps yes, perhaps, for she may have the medical experience to inteperate facts and, therefore, some ability to write an informed report.  Maybe if the DA gave the physiotherapist extra information, but nowhere in the SAR does it show any correspondence between either women, so I must assume there was none, or else Information was held back
  • kah22
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, I’ve learned something today :smile: oh yes I would have no intention of representing my GF at a Tribunal.  We’ve already got a promise from a local representative that they will represent us. She’s won 8 out of her last 10 Tribunals (but that’s covering all aspects of social benefits)

Kevin
  • kah22
    Options
    Yes and No.  I’m helping my GF, she has bipolar and does her best to avoid officialdom in any way, shape, or form, and I’m using the word officialdom in the lowest possible way. She let me help her fill in the forms, we got a PBA thanks to her doctor and while she’s agreed to let someone represent her if she goes to Tribunal I had to do the ground work and put it together for the MR and it was a steep learning curve

Another reason, I suppose, is that I’m just a curious b.....d :smile:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.